3d animation

edited February 2010 in advice
i've been tasked with researching a little into 3d animation. specifically, vehicular animation.

for hazard perception testing. basically, you'd be in a car driving along a road, the road would have other vehicles travelling on it, pedestrians walking along pavements, shops, trees, weather...

to me, it all sounds a little over the top - far easier, and far more natural to use HD video and actually film from a car (as we do now).

what say you?

also, what software / work process would you suggest (hi juzz :))

Comments

• edited 12:16AM
    Well...

http://www.craftanimations.com/
    is THE place for vehicular animation. But I would definitely suggest going for video.
    3D is only valid if there is some stylized look the client is looking for, IMHO.

I can also produce that animation for you. With a 'friendly' price :D.
    No need to license expensive 3D applications and/or learn the pipeline.
  • edited February 2010
    hehe thanks jussi ;)

as it happens, i had already downloaded the craft demo reel earlier, and was pretty impressed with it.

it goes a little like this - [hide]we produce driver training material, and as part of it, licence some of the 'official' DSA (driver standards agency, the guys who set the tests) videos. they are considering moving to 3d animation for this stuff instead (of course, they'd be making a mistake by doing so).[/hide]

in fact, they already do it wrong as they stage all of their hazard perception clips. ours are all filmed 'naturally', there are hundreds of hazards happening daily ;)

of course, the DSA probably have a bank of around 30-40 1min clips that they pull from at any one test. we have over 300 clips on the dvd...
  • edited February 2010
    It would probably also be a bad idea to make the 3D stylized. As it would not portray the real world too accurately.

Thus, don't do it in 3D!
    yeah, i realise this. i've no idea if they are going photorealistic (they would be better off filming in this case, time-wise), or stylised (they'd be better off filming, looks-wise), gah! :D
    It would be cool to do it in a slightly Postman Pat style tho :D