PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker

edited January 2010 in conversations
hacked playstation 3A US hacker who gained notoriety for unlocking Apple's iPhone as a teenager has told BBC News that he has now hacked Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3).

George Hotz said the hack, which could allow people to run pirated games or homemade software, took him five weeks.

He said he was still refining the technique but intended to post full details online soon.

The PS3 is the only games console that has not been hacked, despite being on the market for three years.

"It's supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable," Mr Hotz told BBC News.

"I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

Sony said it was "investigating the report" and would "clarify the situation" when it had more information.

via teh beeb

Comments

• edited 9:13AM
    Geohot FTW! Let's see if he can crack iPhone 4.0 too...
  • edited January 2010
    Sorry i choked when i read:
    opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games, he said.
    Give this lad a Noble.
    he must be too young yet for a government job? ;)

impressive. says it took him 5 weeks to do, just because it needed doing.
    Nice! Wish he'd publish the details online first, so they're available before he's forced not to divulge them.
  • edited January 2010
    It has now been released. here
    Anyway, after reading about it all over the web, i've come to the conclusion that Kanna Shimizu is the future boss of Skynet.