No Dock Icon

edited January 2010 in conversations
Happened without warning and nothing different going on.

Firefox has been crashing a fair bit lately, but okay, I generally only use it for internet radio, and relaunch.

But the icon has disappeared from the dock. There's an empty space, the name shows "Firefox" when I roll the mouse across the space, and when the app is launched (yup, by clicking on that empty space), the little triangle shows up under the empty space.

I've pulled the "empty" icon off and dragged a new one into the space from the app itself, and it shows up again as just an empty space.

Ideas? Firefox is running okay right now, but I'd like that icon back.

Comments

• edited 8:37AM
    Take a screenshot of your Mac, with the Dock visible. Then, try trashing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.db (com.apple.dock.plist might also be a good idea).

Reboot. Can you put Firefox back into the Dock? If so, use the screenshot to put your icons back where they belong. ;)

It might also help to grab the latest Firefox - version 3.6 was released a couple of days ago.
    I've got Firefox 3.5.7 running. Least that's what it says in the About sign.

I'll try a couple of small things first, then the reboot. If necessary, I'll trash the pref file and rebuild my entire dock, although I'd prefer not to, if possible. Also want to delay a reboot as I've got some encoding going on, and reboot loses the lot. :-) Once that's done, I'll mess round a bit.

Not really a big problem, but the dock sure looks funny with that empty spot in it!
    Well, hotdamn! All it took was a simple reboot. Original dock came up like new. Didn't have to go through the problem of rebuilding the thing. Just had to wait for that video coding to finish before I could go to work on such a simple problem.

Thanks, flak. Guess I just got worried too soon.
    Hey cool, glad to help. :)