Remember hypercard stacks? Revitalized art media from 1987.

edited January 2010 in conversations
If Monks Had Macs was created as a hypercard stack and released in 1987. The creator recently collated all the bits and is now releasing the art piece free.

if monks
the If Monks... library includes:

a virtual cloister full of Gregorian chants | Sophie Scholl, the White Rose & their resistance to the Nazis | German Expressionism | Beethoven, Bach & Schubert | Pieter Bruegel the Elder & his Tower of Babel | Thomas Nast, the father of American political cartoons | Henry David Thoreau's Walden and his Journal | Ralph Waldo Emerson, Walt Whitman, Nathaniel Hawthorne & The Scarlet Letter | a guide to the new journal & the world's most intensive journal writing application | solitaire for monks | a medieval adventure game | a haiku writing machine | Simone Weil, Nietzsche & William Blake in Passing Notes | The Imitation of Christ | G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries & The Man who was Thursday | the Kennedy Assassination | Sophie, the most versatile ebook reader | JFK Witness | Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness | Franz Kafka's Kafkaesque | HG Wells' The War of the Worlds | still life and protest photography | etc.
I've enjoyed it immensely. The Bruegel Tower of Babel is enlarged cleanly, and I've never been able to examine it so closely. The essay about the White Rose with pics and music is compelling. and on and on. ;) even the Solitaire game made from medieval Tarot cards is fascinating, in spite of me not being able to figure out how to play it. heh

available for mac and windows. download links are to dropbox or rapidshare, or a torrent. click around the site for a better explanation than i've given. :)

rivertext

Comments

• edited 8:08AM
    As a reminder, the original Myst was one big-ass hypercard stack.
  • edited 8:08AM
    no kidding? :) cool.

they were incredibly handy and now i'm remembering all the (at the time) vital purposes i used them for.

the If Monks Had Macs media offering is timeless and great stuff; I hope some of you take a look.