About to upgrade to a Quad Xeon at work...

edited March 2007 in conversations
..and was wondering if there was anything i need to be aware of, application/software wise etc..

Comments

• edited 3:37AM
    We're referring to a macpro, or something else?
    After a while one will stop working
    then you need to send it to me..

Damn I would love to get my hands on one of those!

Lucky B!

Gff
    A mac pro yes.
    so, that is two dual-cores? or are you going to throw a proper quad-core chip in there? :D
    Other than the whole intel-native or universal thing, nothing specific. It won't be at peak speed until the OS is truly 64 bit.
    Okay cool, thanks Biff
    you cannot let your machine work at full speed... you just can't... i try it averyday and no matter what i try, you can't...
    Sure you can, you just have to be doing the right tasks.
    Apparently they are about to stick the new chips in...according to this Article
    I have a quad MacPro 3Ghz. I's the cats ass. I can render video, and still work on other tasks without realizing it's doing something else. One suggestion is to see if you can get ram cheaper some where else. The ram for this bad boy is costly to an evil degree. Shop around for that. I ended up finding a good deal locally, thankfully, considering how much I put in...
    We are soon to uprade four machines in work. And if that article is correct I will wait....!
    I can't see how much quicker it can get to be honest...i've got a 3ghz mac pro and when rendering final cut video it doesn't come close to using all the power...quite annoying really, but still uber fast... Unless the programs are improved to handle all the cores then it won't speed up...

As for ram, damn is all i can say bout that...although the price has dropped recently... www.macsales.com is the cheapest place i've seen.
    How are you going to know if the article is correct unless you do wait? And if you do wait, there's ALWAYS something faster, thus it's a self-fulfilling prophesy.
    Thats what I meant !! any idea how long it will be before new towers Biff?
    No idea.
    worth the wait I think. My director is getting twitchy because four operators are still using G4 duals and weve had an office re-fit so he wants nice desktop towers !! Sounds like the perfect excuse to me.
    He is aware that the computers spend more time waiting for the operator than the other way around, right?
    Yup, but he doesnt have a clue about Macs! He wants them to look like mine!!! (its a kind of working showroom)