so angry that my friend is dead

edited December 2009 in conversations
i mentioned it a while back; she was murdered in late November. i am not coming to grips at all. am having overwhelming, nearly crippling surges of rage, and am only superficially successful at hiding it.

Tempest was an amazing woman. she was younger than i, in the same “family”, like a sister or a close cousin. she was my unicyle guru, and one of my fondest memories of her was the day she took a dare and juggled 3 apples while riding her unicyle down a long steep forest path .......yelling and cursing the whole way.

she was a musician and a puppeteer, the work with puppets and her unicycle was a delight to watch; she specialized in parades. it was her idea to make the solar powered guitars, bass and amps and put together concerts that people have to hike in and camp to attend. is folk-punk a real genre? she made it one.

‘pest was dyslexic to the point of illiteracy, but she could read a circuit diagram in a glance, and oh she wrote elegant code. she had a memory like a steel trap and knew a 100’s of stories, myths and legends to tell around a campfire. the puppets she made were a combination of whatever she might find, and they told stories, too.

she was beautiful, healthy, funny, cheerful, hard-working, sensuous, positive, and truly interested and fascinated by the world around her. people grew happier in her presence. she and i shared a lack of fashion sense; and we would shop together in the free store with our eyes closed, finding the fabrics we wanted to touch our skin. she was one of the people i trust to keep her head and pull her weight when we canoed in the sea.

she hated to cook, and kept a vegan house, so as to cut down on ingredients. she was omnivorous, and if hungry, would eat anything.

she left a child. Gracie is 3 and has no known biological relatives. she and i are pals, but i’m not in the running for being her adoptive mum. everyone will pitch in and make sure her new parents (up until now they were grandparents-of-the-heart) have fewer chores and more time. Gracie is a Spina Bifida child and is already a terror in her wheelchair. she has meltdowns every day; she’s three; it’s all fresh and raw every moment.

of course i’m not alone in my grief. it helps to share, and to work together while we do. there’ve been gatherings large and small; counseling, and comforting. i am aware of how selfish i am to be grieving so hard when i’m not the only one who lost her, nor is my loss the most important. i also know that kind of thing can’t be measured.

Tempest’s murder appears to be the result of an assault attempt. she was no slouch at self defence and i have a strong feeling that someone approached her and she said “no” and probably was polite; she likely even smiled. it must have never occurred to her that she wasn’t safe; she was on-island, and less than 100 meters from her home. someone bashed in the back of her skull with a tree branch and threw her body in the ocean. i’m having flashbacks, having survived a similar assault. we all thought that one was a weird awful fluke… that kind of violence happening in our quiet and close-knit community.

the rage is slopping over into everything. i’m angry at almost everything and everyone. my friend is dead. i’m mad at all of you for not knowing her, so you could at least grieve with me.

yeah.. who says i have to be logical …

hard physical labour … yes, it helps, because i have to focus in order not to do any damage. if i drank, this would be a good time to quit. not much could feel worse.

i’m trying. time will pass. my friend won’t get any older than 26.

eh, i really do love you all. we share stuff. this is big stuff for me.

Comments

• edited 1:39AM
    I'm sorry, mick.
    She sounds incredible, I would have enjoyed knowing her. People like that are so scarce in this tiny world.
    Yea, she sounds like a person I would have loved to meet too..
    Condolences, mickles.
    I'm sorry not to have known her mick. She sounds like a great person. Are we talking late november of this year? Shit, that's like yesterday, you are entitled to whatever emotions you are feeling, people around you know and understand, I'm sure.
    This will take time mick, get a bean bag to punch or something if you think it will help, but don't hold back.
    I'm glad to hear you are not alone in dealing with this though. So sorry for your loss, mick.
    ~hugs
    I appreciate the kind words. hell, i WANTED them. it doesn't fix anything, but....

dang it, you folks are about the only thing i do online, and it's been a long sweetly strange journey. the anger i feel bleeds through what i say and do here as well as ... here. (chair.. home.. etc)

i've gone on before about how much i despise the passive-aggressive style of communication, where anger or anguish or aggro aren't openly acknowledged, but come out in meanness and snarky snaky attitude. I don't want to be one of those people. I want to be angry .. openly.. where it's appropriate, and treat all of you better than I have in the last few weeks.

that ^ was an apology. i've been impatient and more prone to jumping to conclusion (yes, it is possible), and less likely to check with someone before judging what i think i hear or read.

she was killed on November 18. the last thing we did together was some voice work. 'pest was working on a piece for a big poetry slam, and i provided an aural "sound box" behind her words while she worked on the phrasing and tonalities. damn... weeping again... :) It was awful; first runs often are; it was going to be good.

x
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 1:39AM
    mick...

so so sorry that all this happened.

there are not words...
    :depressed:
    i don't know what to say mick. i'm sorry for your loss. i truly am. she sounded like an amazing person. but just know, so are you and there are LOTS of folks here that are here for you if you need us. please don't hesitate to give me a shout if you need anything.
    I'm so sorry mick. I wish my family was there to help.
    Sorry to hear about it mick. I too have lost a few very close friends. And I always wonder what my life would be like if they were still around. :(
  • brightest purest spirits are always the hardest to lose in our world. be angry and be sad and be bereft and be bittersweet. here for ya darling. hugs.
  • I am soooo sorry to hear that mick. My heart goes out to you....and to all that are missing her now, later and in the future. She sounded amazing! I am a good listener if you need someone to talk to and don't ever be afraid to contact me for anything you may need. Best to you my friend. Hugs and kisses.
  • CPUCPU
    edited 1:39AM
    my condolences! :depressed:

my thoughts are with you, mick and everyone else she left behind.
    oh shit mick, that is terrible. be strong. /me sends strength
    thank you for your good thoughts, people, both public and private.

I am trying very hard to be strong and to keep the anger un-dangerous (to me or to anyone). one thing i'm certain of is that part of the motive for telling y'all about this was to raise my own awareness of how i'm treating others.

i really am sorry i've neglected to answer an emails or messages; i've been short-tempered and not as kind or helpful as i could be. i'll do better, not only because you all deserve it, but because letting my friend's murder turn me into a person i don't like would be like putting ugly frosting on a death cake.

love you all....

x
  • really sad for the loss mick

be angry if it helps, i know you won't let the anger consume you
    physical labor almost always helps with rage.
    let the sorrow and loss absorb your anger.
    the sorrow will never leave you, but that is not necessarily bad.
    the anger will leave if you don't let it make you bitter, bitterness is not good
    there is no selfishness in your grief, just see that you save a little energy for the people whose grief may be even greater (i know you will)

lots of love to you
  • edited January 2010
    i said i was grumpy, but that wasn't really so. i'm more weary-dreary sad and sorrowful low.

thursday (day before yesterday) we got this:

Subject: re: Murder of Tempest Gale
    To: [redacted]

It has been more than two months since the tragic death of Ms. Gale at Ford's Cove. I know that this event continues to be a deeply concerning tragedy for the citizens of your islands. My purpose at this time is to acknowledge the cooperation and support our investigators have received while conducting inquiries into this unfortunate event.

I also wish to reiterate my commitment made at the public meeting on November 23, 2009 and during other informal discussions that we will take whatever action that is necessary to develop evidence to bring the person(s) responsible to justice.

This is a difficult investigation and considerable patience is necessary to complete the task that is before us. Investigational activities continue and I am unable to provide an estimate at this time as to when more positive information can be shared with the community.

Thank you again for your support and patience as we work to solve the murder of Tempest Gale. If you have questions or comments please contact me at [redacted] and arrangements will be made to respond as soon as possible.

T. Gray, Inspector O.I.C. Comox Valley Detachment

translation: we have no leads, no clues, no ideas. we are short on staff. this investigation, while not closed, is off the front burner.

of course life goes on; 'pest's little girl is doing pretty well; that's a bright spot. missing someone isn't about how long it's been; it's about those moments when you're doing something and wishing they were right there with you. that happens a lot and it twists my gut each time.

i did inherit her unicycle; it is a much better model than the cheapo one i used for parades. ;) it's taller, too, so when i fall off it's much more dramatic.

shit