Shillington college

edited December 2009 in advice
Hello Guys and Girls, I've just had someone I do some work for ask me if I know anything of the reputation and worth of Shillington College, they have a family friend whose seen their courses (at 6-8K for ƒls sake!!) and is considering it cause they want to fast track!

Any of you guys know anything about these people? I've seen their ads and largely taken a sceptical/cynical view of this type of course...

Thoughts!?

Comments

• edited 4:13PM
    I'm not entirely sure that graphic design is something you can 'learn fast'.

Graphic style and ideas are things that develop over time.

Just my 20 pence.
    don't know if i could trust a college with the word "shill" in its name. :D
    Hm, from the info you obtain from their website (the student testimonials that is) they seem to focus on "how to use the programs" and "how to use InDesign" and such... Dunno, maybe you are better off doing art classes at university and buy a couple of books by Adobe Press and some Lynda tutorials to familiarize with the DTP applications. Just my € 0.20 :)
    i'm not sure that a 3 year graphic design degree is worth it.

some art/design history classes, and a mentor, and you're away!

ok, so it's the mentor part that is difficult to obtain when not in college/work...
    wait wait wait.... 3 months? with no prior knowledge? i don't see that happening. now, a huge prior interest in design, and a working knowledge of applications and processes, then a 3 month fast track would be a great top-up, no doubt :)
    Yes, you're confirming my own thoughts... usually if something sound too good to be true... I'd already expressed my doubts but thought I'd just see if anyone here had come across a grad from this place, in case there was an exception to a rule.

I don't even know if this person has a past interest in Art/Design that might give them that creative edge - there's too many wan-a-bees out there already...

Cheers
    chris said......now, a huge prior interest in design, and a working knowledge of applications and processes, then a 3 month fast track would be a great top-up, no doubt :)
    That about says it