Virgin Media to trial filesharing monitoring system

edited November 2009 in conversations
Virgin Media will trial deep packet inspection technology to measure the level of illegal filesharing on its network, but plans not to tell the customers whose traffic will be examined.
Link

Comments

• edited 2:36PM
    hmmn, this sounds rough (BT has already done something similar though, right).

i can only suggest that people stop with all this piracy malarky, or, only accept encrypted transfers for torrents, stick to private trackers, avoid mainstream p2p platforms ;)
    In America.. Verizon will be monitoring also and sending out notices for illegal traffic. Cox Cable and Comcast already do this. Cox is at the point that they cut off your service before you get a notice and then you have to deal with them to get put back on. Lets face it folks.. Bittorrent is dieing . A rapidshare premium account is the way to go, although I read that rapidshare d/ls are in the crosshairs of the RIAA,MIAA also..Get it while you can... heh
  • edited November 2009
    chris said...hmmn, this sounds rough (BT has already done something similar though, right).

i can only suggest that people stop with all this piracy malarky, or, only accept encrypted transfers for torrents, stick to private trackers, avoid mainstream p2p platforms ;)

Private trackers mean squat.. Anyone can join. Encrypted? lol.. If I work for Cox cable.. Joined demoniod for instance.. then join a torrent.. I see everyones ISP by name. OOPS-- 5 Cox cable customers just got f00ked.

Using Torrents are dead.. Forget them!

P.S.. Mininova went down yesterday... Happy Thanksgiving!

And here is more Fun!.. Lawyers are getting into the act on the side!.. heh

Lawyers target thousands of 'illegal' file-sharers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8381097.stm

"Michael Coyle, lawyer at Southampton based firm Lawdit, described the scheme as "having very little to do with protecting the rights of the copyright holder".

Instead, he said, it was "more to do with making money from alleging copyright infringements on a massive scale".
    praise rapidshare. . .
    A cox employee joining a torrent to view a couple of IPs? lulz!
  • edited November 2009
    chris said...A cox employee joining a torrent to view a couple of IPs? lulz!
    ahhhh.. I was just making a stat.. ok.. Cox can grab maybe

a day?
    It's not "encryption" that you should be concerned about - make sure whatever you're using utilizes SSL.
  • edited November 2009
    flak said...It's not "encryption" that you should be concerned about - make sure whatever you're using utilizes SSL.
    This is why Wired rocks :)
    The future is anonymous and decentralized.