Fluckers in Paris/tips to the City.

edited November 2009 in conversations
I promised to take my brother to paris because i missed his graduation. So, now i need tips! Where to stay, who to meet, where to go? All tips are appreciated. The trip is in january.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited 9:26AM
    jump on the chunnel and come to the UK :)
    also, you could do worse than to grab a rough guide, but i bet you could get a cheaper one from amazon.
    it's a trap
    maybe a lonely planet guide, instead.
    :D
    Just come back, been a few times now!

For night life you can try the areas around the Bastille, Rue de la Roquette, and also the Latin Quarter.

In the past I've stayed in hotels in the Montmartre, Bastille (Nouvel Opera Hotel, 152 Avenu Ledru Rollin - cheap-ish and cheerful) and this year was in the 17th Arrondissement (Hôtel Prince Albert Wagram)... a friend stayed in a hostel near the metro stop Stalingrad, which was bearable by all accounts...

Getting around round the city to explore... it can be quite cool to do it via the Velib bikes http://www.velib.paris.fr/ you pay a deposit for a day or seven days and can get a bike out for ½ an hour free or 1€ for an hour, lots of bike stations spread about...

Sites, my god where do you start - buy a guide like Chris said!

The Sacre Coeur and Montmartre itself are good, or how about Jim Morrison's grave (and many other famous historical characters) at Père Lachaise Cemetery. There's a good Surrealism exhibition on at the Pompidou Centre at the mo and near by there's a nice bar on Rue Quincampaix (name begins with a back to front 'K'!)

I like the Musee D'orsay (in an old railway station); LaDefence; Le Marais... nice view from the top of The Galeries Lafayette and a pretty amazing dome inside too...

...oh and something about a Mona Lisa (over rated!)