Duct Tape FTW

edited November 2009 in conversations
this happened in Alaska; don't let the "Texas Hunt and Fish" logo on the pictures fool you.

the pilot flew in for some fishing, and left his catch locked in the plane.

a bear wanted the fish.

bear vs plane 1
bear vs plane 2
bear vs plane 3
bear vs plane 4

the pilot radioed for help and asked for a drop. 2 tires, 3 cases of duct tape, and a case of plastic food wrap (ie Saran Wrap).
bear vs plane 5

and flew away. sans fish. :D

Comments

• edited 10:41AM
    looks good - reminds me of that fabric-skinned bmw :D
    i think it took moxie to use duct tape.

;) it starts to shred at about 100 mph.
    he'll be ok, stay out of fierce headwinds :D
  • i seem to recall hearing that repairing aircraft in ww2 was one of the original applications for duct tape.

i once used duct tape to repair a de-laminated rudder on a eighty foot boat – under water. six rolls. held for 150 miles before starting to loosen.
    good story, red. :) i bet you got all pruny.

there's duct tape and then there's duct tape. i have an enormous roll of "reinforced" duct tape. it's got cross-fibres embedded and i've used it for everything from taping 2x4's together for a temporary shelter to making a tow rope for an enormous old Massey-Ferguson tractor that weighed almost 2 tons.

i agree, chris... staying out of fierce headwinds would be smart. ;) i think i'd also cruise about 15 feet above the ground... just in case.
    In Mythbusters, there is an episode where they make a fully working sailboat from duct tape.
    That appears to be some flavour of Piper J-3 Cub -- a bare bones plane which is extremely easy to fly and to fix... basically a Land Rover Defender with wings :happy:
    For reasons i can't mention here, i too agree Duct Tape FTW!
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
    "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...."
    - Carl Zwanzig
  • edited November 2009
    that is a great quote, compelman. :D

i was staring at that plane and realized that it is, in fact, very duct-like. rbernato is right, that is a Piper Cub; they are one of those machines that just keep going and going.

duct tape and WD-40 and bailing wire are the three things you never want to be out of.
  • edited November 2009
    WD-40 is awesome. It's a shame that it stains clothing.
    from what i've read duct tape is one of the building elements of the whole universe...
    ClunkyRobot is the Duct Tape King™
    Clunky made one of the first duct-tape wallets. :) i think he started something, actually. it wasn't long after he did his, that Make 'zine published a how-to on it.

with the corners trimmed and rounded and firm pressing, duct tape can mend most clothing and comes out of the washing machine intact.

:) i don't use a clothes dryer, but i'd bet it wouldn't be a good idea to put your duct tape patched clothes in one.
  • edited November 2009
    The milspec EB Red duct tape is awesome. Ruined me for civilian grade tape forever.

hah! Found it!
    Biff said...The milspec EB Red duct tape is awesome. Ruined me for civilian grade tape forever.

hah! Found it!
    Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought

Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can...
    Bomb-makers maybe?
    This is pretty good too.
  • edited November 2009
    this is the stuff…
    seriously, you want good duct tape, Nashua is the stuff to get.
    but.... how can you top "Nuclear Grade" ??? :)

i've never made any dramatic repairs with duct tape, but i wanted to add that it's part of my emergency medical kit, too.

krazy glue and duct tape are both better than sutures sometimes.
    Only Texans are stupid enough to lose a fish.. In Louisiana.. We would have also eaten the Bear...