iTunes UPNP

edited October 2009 in advice
Any recommendations for setting up UPNP networks from Snow Leopard?

As context for the question I am testing EyeConnect but €50 seems a little steep.

T.I.A.

Comments

• edited 7:01PM
    What's the ultimate goal, an itunes server visible on the LAN or on the internet as a whole?
    just my kitchen radio for the days when like this week the wind is high and the air is full of drizzle and the overhead phonelines don't play fair with streamed internet radio
    albeit over wifi so the neighbours can join in the fun :)
    How much control do you want over the itunes stream? Do you want your own internet radio stream?

For general Bonjour and VNC needs, I use sharetool. It also allows for itunes sharing over a WAN like the itunes library was on a local network.

If you're looking more at an itunes radio station with no control for the listeners, nicecast is the tool of choice.
    control is useful which is why i went the UPNP route. skip tracks, shuffle etc
  • edited October 2009
    I'm thinking possibly a combo of the two then, the nicecast for the neighbors, and the sharetool for you + control. If you've got an ipod touch or iPhone, you can use remote to control itunes, then you'd just need nicecast.

In the past i've used itrc, but I haven't tried it with itunes 9 or 10.6.
    Very useful info, thanks!