setting up a fiber optic network

edited September 2009 in advice
I guess what I should start with is my final goal. I'd like to have 3 edit suites (FinalCut, AE, Cinima4d, Photoshop etc.) which are Mac Pros with fiber channel cards hooked up via fiber optics (naturally) to some sort of server/RAID system so when they are digitizing footage, working on projects etc everything is kept on the RAID (and backed up) instead of on each computer to let everyone have access to the things they need. Also I would like a number of small imacs hooked up to this system as well. I'm more then familiar with setting up a decent edit suite and the imacs are just plain stuff for documents, office work, and maybe some print design at a stretch. I'm not familiar with what is needed with setting up a fiber optic network or really anything that would let my edit suites use the same RAID system. Just looking for working info or any resources. I'm doing alot of reading on the apple site about Xserve, Xsan, OS X server, FinalCut server etc, but I'd really like some advice from anyone who has worked or is first hand knowledgeable about a system like this. I'd rather get some kinks worked out the first time instead of getting hosed by a sales person who doesn't really know what my final goal is in the first place. I'm flexible to any system that would work with the imacs and Mac Pro edit suites.

Thanks for any help, I'm off to creative cow to see what I can find there.
-W-

Comments

• edited 3:10PM
    Can i move in?
    Biffo is your man for sure.
    unfortunately, i think he's needed elsewhere.
    So, hit the Blues batcall...

Aoooooooooowowoeoeoeoeoeoririririrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. burp
    I have thoughts. I'll be around more tomorrow.
  • edited September 2009
    meska said...So, hit the Blues batcall...

Aoooooooooowowoeoeoeoeoeoririririrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. burp
    I have not done fiber optics yet, A friend who does that, when we can find time will give me lessons . He's a Novell Certified Engineer and preaches that fiber optics should be made easy for Home or Business use for hooking up your computers. I'm still in CAT6 land.. heh.. good luck.. :smile:
    Ya I should also note that this would be in Alberta (canada :tongue: ) and it might be necessary for the whole setup to be mobile, as in setup in a trailer and hauled around north america. the info I gathered from creative cow was basically 'don't do it yourself hire a professional' How the heck do I find a professional in alberta? Would I be looking for a company that works with fiber optics and networks? Or someone more familiar with apple products?
    lol and as far as moving in, if it gets mobile I might not even be there to enjoy it :awkward:
    It'll definitely feel slick though and probably last us for our needs for waaaay longer then it might a normal production company because of the unique work we do (military stuff, good thing they are slow to change!)