illustrator CS4 mulitple artboards vs layers

edited September 2009 in conversations
anyone started converting their "layer"workflow to a multiple artboard workflow?

the packaging studio i'm at now uses the "layers" workflow for different items on a the same dieline. this is great but has a downside which is when we need to export pdfs for clients - we have to delete all the other layers we aren't viewing because even with those layers turned off, illustrator remembers all the data and exports out huge PDFs. if we delete the turned off layers then export, we get 600kb files vs 20mb (yes it's a lot - we have 17 different items in one doc currently). i'm wondering if multiple artboards and exporting PDFs would work differently. any thoughts?

Comments

• edited 10:22AM
    Saving a multi artbaord ai file as a PDF saves all of the artboards. Even if you open the PDF in acrobat and delete the other pages the data is still there. So no saving there.

Why not import your ai files into indesign and fiddle with the layers there. So when you export the pdf's you just get what you want? I've not had to do this recently so I could be just blowing hot air.

Sorry.
    Try saving with PDF compatability on. The PDF setting saves all layer and live font data.
    did you mean illustrator editing off, mesk?
    (i'm on cs3 here, so maybe not*)
    That when saving PDF, and also when saving .ai.

CS3 makes huge PDFs, better to export export EPS/PS and drop into distiller, or alternatively flatten PDF first then save using a profile similar to Pass4Press.
    we had been saving to smallest file size which does NOT preserve illustrator editing capabilities and those were the numbers.

I have tested this layers vs artboards and artboards won. Here are the numbers:

File Sizes:
    • Original file with layers saved as .ai: 19.1mb
    • New file with multiple artboards saved as .ai: 18.8 mb
    • Original file saved PDF smallest setting (single SKU/other layers turned off): 20.9 mb (yes for a SINGLE sku at smallest file size - ridiculous!)
    • Original file saved PDF smallest setting (single SKU/other layers deleted): 884 kb
    • New file saved PDF smallest setting (single SKU/select artboard range in output): 628 kb
    • Original file saved PDF smallest setting (ALL SKUs – merged via acrobat): 8.5 mb
    • New file saved PDF smallest setting (ALL SKUs – in illustrator at once): 7.6 mb

Time:
    • Original file process: turn on layer, delete other skus, save pdf, undo, turn on next layer, delete others, save pdf, repeat through all skus. Then take single files to acrobat and combine into one pdf. Time on average: 30 mins for 17 skus.
    • New file process: save pdf, select range. Saving 17 single skus + file with all skus: less than 10 minutes.

Savings:

- Saves 67% more time versus current workflow per dieline.
    - File size: In example used with 17 SKUs, total file size savings for .ai, single pdfs and combine pdf is 5.5 mb.