Need to update my website... but how?

edited September 2009 in advice
I have been freelance for approx 3 years now and I haven't updated my website at all in that time. If you were to go onto my site at the moment it appears as though I haven't done anything since 2007 :happy:

I have been designing a new site and have been pretty happy with it so far, but now I'm down to the crucial part, what work do I show.

Over the past 2 years I have worked on some pretty big stuff, but as of now that work is either still in development or it was intended for internal viewing only and so can't be featured online at all.

I'm thinking of removing all of my work from my site and just having a 'clients' section listing who I have worked with and then a link to request samples.

I'm not pitching for new work but I would like to make a change as things seem a bit stagnant at the moment.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• edited 1:18AM
    your portfolio would look much better if it included your contribution to the Gamer's Alphabet project. :D

as for your site, if you only show the work to clients you've already had, how can you generate new interest? i see your statement that you're not pitching for new work, but ..... ;) what about your admirers? how will their need for fixxery be assuaged?
    The client list shows others who he has worked with/for, and then they (the others) can request samples of work, Mick ;)
    :) don't tell me.. my ignorance was briefly not hidden?? that's a first.
    Also, well tricky a situation, pete. What you suggest seems like it could work, and perhaps seem pretty special, invite-only style!

Or it could backfire and no one would bother contacting you having seen no work displayed :D
    I think a mix of projects from small to large is good.

It'd irritate me if I had to request work (I'm designing a site like that at the moment, but it's a case of needs must).
    nicko said...I think a mix of projects from small to large is good.

It'd irritate me if I had to request work (I'm designing a site like that at the moment, but it's a case of needs must).
    aye... I don't want to irritate people.

It's just a shame that some of my best work can't be shown... :tongue:
  • on the other hand isn't it likely that by the time you ARE looking to pitch for new work that some of these in development works are complete?

perhaps design it so they would be included but disable their inclusion until such time as they are available?
    yeah... one may potentially be complete soon ( was only involved in the design and its now in development )

the other I did solely and it is this one that has taken the bulk of the past 2 years... 4 internal sites, so there is no way I could ever put that online.

I am able to send it to people as screenshots but I can't have it hanging around the net.

I think I'm going to go the way of a closed portfolio and just list clients. I have a client area on my site so I may possibly modify that or use something like Filebrowser to create a hidden archive of my work.
  • i have seen sites with client login sections of course but what about a resume request section which is basically a protected part of the portfolio

that way if someone requests a view of your folio you can give them login credentials OR when you are pitching for new work you send out l/p details with the initial contact.

that way the content is secure from general browsing but limits the frustration of your stalkersprospective clients