Save from InDesign CS4 to InDesign CS2

edited July 2009 in advice
I need to work on a book project with a publisher that still uses CS2 as his one and only work-in-progress file format.

I have CS4 and "updating" the files (i.e. opening them in CS4) wouldn't be such a problem I reckon, but saving back to CS2 from CS4 isn't an option in the "Save as..." menu. Also exportin a file as INX only seems to be supported "down" to CS3 (no mention of INX file format for CS2 or similar).

Do I have to dig out my CS2 disks and install it for this project, to produce a file that will work flawlessly on the other side (which possibly even uses Windows -- I am not sure 100% but potentially more problem I could run into... ) or has anyone positive experience with the INX hack where you replace the version number in the plain text INX file to match the one understood by CS2? Will doing what is posted here mess up my file?

Cheers, and thanks for all input --
rbernato

Comments

• edited 2:40PM
    i guess they can't use a pdf, right?
    also, that double downsave thing was mentioned by an adobe employee, so it should be good to go, right? :D
  • edited July 2009
    Nope, can't go PDF since I will just do part of the book (actually most of it -- still...), other parts -- like the foreword that is not written yet as it seems and possibly some late texts -- will be merged later.

I am a little bit paranoid about that whole hacking the file thing... but I'll try it tho -- I can fall back on the real thing as a plan B if the file doesn't check out as it should... will see.
    We've had to do that a bit here at work. It involved exporting INX from CS4 to CS3 then exporting INX from CS3 to CS2.

Messy and fraught with danger.

Your best bet is to give them PDF's or your sections they can strip into their CS2 document.
    heh... I choose to go the "work in CS4, and export to tampered with CS3 INX that will work with CS2" route because I was rembering how CS2 sucked speedwise in Rosetta emulation on my fist generation MBP... so I thought to install CS2 InDesign just to check the INX and re-save as a regular CS2 file -- only to find out that FOR SOME WEIRD REASON IT WON'T LET ME INSTALL INDESIGN CS2 NEXT TO INDESIGN CS4 (also no Illustrator CS2...)

Did I miss some files when I wiped CS2 back in the day which the installer sees and thus thinks I still have Indesign installed or is it just some kind of Adobe quirky weirdness? I am so glad I didn't sell my old G3 IBook which still ID installed...