imac hangs on startup - safeboot doesn't work

edited May 2009 in conversations
mr. lafemi's imac has been acting up and tonight it won't boot, not even safeboot, it hangs on the startup gray apple icon screen. I did a verbose mode start up and the last two lines read as follows:

Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified computer Name; using default bMacintosh-0017F2CDA4C1b instead
Macintosh automount[175]: Failed request for Finder notification; result = -1

anyone have any ideas before we haul it in?

We do have Disk Warrior, but he claims it won't start on that disk (i'm going to try that now) or the original install disc either. not sure what the problem is......seems bad though.

Comments

• edited 11:03AM
    What kind of iMac? PowerPC or Intel?

Do you have another Mac handy? If it's the same type (PowerPC or Intel), then boot the good Mac into target disk mode (hold the T key when booting up) and then connect the good Mac to the iMac. Reboot the iMac, hold down the Option key, then select the FireWire drive and see if it boots from that.

Or, you could boot the iMac into target disk mode, and plug it into the good Mac - and run utilities as if the iMac were an external hard drive.

Good catch on verbose mode, that can be really handy sometimes. You don't see anything about I/O errors, do you? That usually indicates a failing hard drive.

There's more, but I'd start there.
  • edited May 2009
    no I/O errors show up in verbose mode. gonna see if i can grab my friend's mac laptop who's over right now and try the target disk mode.

ok imac is intel as is the macbook laptop. I started the imac in Target disk mode and plugged it in to the laptop, good news, the laptop recognizes it, i opened disk utility and am running "verify disk" from the laptop on the "imac" currently, we'll see what comes up. please stand by.
    okay the imac drive is okay according to disk utility on the laptop. now why won't the thing boot on it's own?
    Hmm. I know it sounds strange, but have you tried repairing permissions on the iMac? You can do that via Disk Utility, like when you verified the disk, in target disk mode.

Also, you can boot your friend's MacBook from the DiskWarrior CD and repair the iMac as an external drive (still in target disk mode), or install DiskWarrior on the MacBook's HD and repair while booted from OS X.
    Also, regardless if you manage to get it booting again, I'd reinstall the OS anyway. As long as the drive isn't failing (and it doesn't sound like it is, but you can never tell)...you can probably just do an archive and install of OS X and have the machine running fine again.

Is your Dad running 10.4 or 10.5? If he's running 10.4, you'll need to reinstall using his original discs. If he's running 10.5, you'll need his original discs (if it came with 10.5) or a retail copy of 10.5. When you go through the motions of installing, select "Archive & Install" - in fact, I'd even keep the checkbox "Preserve users and network settings" checked, unless you have problems booting after it reinstalls. If you do, run another archive and install, but uncheck that box. You'll need to recreate his user account and move his stuff into the new account, but it's essentially a completely clean install (but instead of erasing, it just moves his stuff out of the way).
  • edited May 2009
    it wouldn't give me the option to repair permissions before, it was greyed out, only to verify and repair disk.

i'm currently booting the laptop from the disk warrior cd, with the imac connected in target mode.

mr. lafemi is my husband and he was planning on a reinstall tomorrow - murphy's law or something.

booting from disk warrior takes a bit, going to the kitchen for some ice cream, be back in a few with an update - you're awesome Flak, thanks.
    29 files and 2 folders needed to be fixed on the rebuild. optimization is now done and onto file repairs.
    Haha, whoops. Hello to Mr. Lafemi! :D

Good timing, then. I'd rebuild with DiskWarrior and then reinstall (provided the HD is really good). Doesn't sound like anything more serious than a messed up OS.

Is he keeping backups? Once he's got things running again, it might be a good time to start doing that, if he isn't already.

Happy to help! :)
    do i do a reinstall from the laptop with the imac connected as target mode?
    You could - or, do a reinstall directly on the iMac. Either way should be okay.
    okay thanks, appreciate it so much!!!
    still won't boot on it's own or from a disk, so gonna try and out of space to do an archive and install, looks like gonna do a backup via target mode to a usb external and then do a full erase and install. blerg. what a pain in the arse!
    Cool, that works - forgot to mention, if you put the MacBook into target disk mode, and pop the OS install disc in there, you can use it like an external optical drive and boot from the disc in the MacBook's drive on the iMac.

Erase and install sounds like a good idea, though. Try holding down the Option key when trying to boot from the OS disc - any luck?
    Might be the EFI partition that's hosed (which a reinstall Target mode would fix), possibly the Boot ROM. I'm leaning towards the Boot ROM (hardware). Don't spend a super long time trying to reinstall. If you can't get it to reinstall and boot in target mode, don't just try it again, time to bring it to the shop.
  • edited May 2009
    oh mac master Biff! yeah i went to bed while the backup of 250 gbs went on. just got up and when I try and boot the laptop from the imac install disk, it spits it out - guessing time to take the imac in? or do i need to the laptop in target mode and try and boot the imac that way? i think i just confused myself.
    I think it's time to haul it in. Is it still under warranty?
    okay i'll make an appt for it. I don't remember when he bought it. i think 2 years ago, so it may or may not be in warranty. at least i was able to get a backup of the user folder and contents. (he does do a nightly backup as well, but that hasn't been for over a week due to other needs for that particular harddrive) ill post later with the final diagnosis and treatment
    In the good ole days I would have tried zapping the p ram too. By holding apple, alt, p & r at startup until it chimes twice.
    did that too before i even posted. it won't even boot if I put the laptop in target mode and then do option on boot on the imac and select the firewire "drive" (the laptop), it goes part way and then hangs - so I think biffmeister is probably correct in his diagnosis that it's the boot ROM which after readig up sounds like the thing that would be causing the choking on boot. plus that makes sense since disk warrior verified the harddrive and found no issues and when i ran files on diskwarrior it had less than 4% out of optimization and a total of 12 files needing permissions repair, did all that and still no dice.
    when u boot with alt held does it give you an option? wonder if it would boot an externel usb install or wether it would run a linux live cd. Just curious.
    yeah if i hold down option i can select the startup disc if it's in the slot or a drive if it's attached, and it will go for a bit, but ultimately it hangs on the startup icon and never gets all the way through
    It's important to note that the bootloader by holding down the option key is before the boot ROM is accessed- this is purely an open firmware extension. The ability to select a startup volume is independent of the boot ROM.

It'll be diagnosed as a motherboard replacement, likely. The normal Apple warranty is one year- extended to three if you've got applecare. If you purchased on a credit card you may have some manner of warranty extension.
    took it in, genius tried booting from his external, no dice. replaced ram, no dice. said it's either a bad optical drive, logic board or harddrive, but we are under warranty (yeah) they have to order parts (boo) should have back by monday likely.
    Yeah, sounds like a logic board to me, too. Good that you got the data off!

Interesting stuff about the boot process. :D
    1 sick imac.
    bad logic board
    and bad video card
    repair cost total: $915

having AppleCare: $0

Loving the AppleCare plan!!!!!

do have a question though. I know that on a mac you don't have to defrag, but I have heard if you work with a lot of large video files, that you do need to. Mr. Lafemi is pretty rough on his mac: he bit torrents, plays WoW (which has many large files and patches to those files) PLUS he's a filmmaker and even those "short" films are GBs and GBs worth of data that get added to and deleted, is there any good maintenance we should be doing?
    shut it down regularly :)
    My imac has been acting up all weekend. Turns out i had to turn it off to cool it down, i was getting video errors freezing machine. I also turned off the graphcis card support in CS4 PS, i think it wasn't helping the heat issue in mac.
    Meska, there was an update for iMac firmware - have you installed that yet?

Also, are you running 10.5.7? Seems Apple/ATI updated some drivers with 10.5.7, that could cause some issues, too (it broke 3D acceleration in VMWare).
    Okay i had a re-occurence of this after i used Diskwarrior 4.2 to tidy up my primary drive. Mac almost went into meltdown, finally got it back via various re-installs/time machine restores, putting iMac Fan Control, not the SMC one, and then updating to an imac firmware update for Geforce 7300GT (came out in January, the one for Windowsware in Bootcamp). No chicken pox spots or weird interface glitches so far, but that was a looooong night...