I need some ID on this...

edited April 2009 in advice
...this being GC5B-1250-S2 by GigaDesigns Llc as pictured here:
http://files.macbidouille.com/news/200804/gigadesign.jpg

What I need is info on the heatsink - dimensions, clip etc. I'll be damn grateful to anyone who can shed some light unto this.

Comments

• edited 12:22PM
    What chip is it for mate, looks fairly small
    It's a G4 :P An upgrade I got back in 2003, which has served me well during these years and still needs to. But the problem is cooling. I'm looking into swapping th darn thing.
    I'd imagine it's a custom part, if you can't get a replacement from gigadesigns your going to have to jury rig something yourself from another heatsink. there are a few low profile ones around, the problem will be fitting it tightly to that board. if the heatsink is salvageable and it's just the fan thats gone, then thats another matter
    You might want to look at the sonnet heat sinks. If you can find a dead sonnet upgrade, it may be a one for one swap. I agree with base, it's for sure a custom part. Is the processor just getting too hot? What method are you using for monitoring it? The sonnet upgrades use a fan at cross-angles to the heatsink, and I'd think that that may be a more effective heat dissipation method. Is that a cube upgrade card? I don't remember tower upgrade cards having such a low profile sink.

I've got to tell you, it may be the last gigadesigns upgrade still functioning in the wild.
    Maybe it's almost time to upgrade...you seem to be sinking quite some money into this old G4.

Solid machine, but it's starting to show its age.
    Gigadesigns has gone out of business last year - apparently acquired and subsequently abandoned by DayStar - so no replacement is possible... The fan has been replaced with higher one once, but the heatsink is getting wildly hot nowadays (Might be the Radeon 9800 Pro's Zalman passive cooler blocking the air intake from CPU) I'd Imagine that the clip can be taken off and put into another heatsink - I've got a spare Spire copper heatsink with better fan.

Biff: nope, the card is for tower G4's:D

flak: sinking money? Nope, not really... Rather reusing stuff I've acquired in the past. G5 might be the next upgrade or some 1st gen Intel MacPro - but the prices aren't too friendly as of now.
    Oh, can anyone find me a good pic on Digital Audio's innards? I'm buying one of thse for 50 euros... Not much money, eh:D
    If the RAM-slots are by the AGP-slot, them I'm busted - I'll need to shop for a new cooler for the Radeon... Which I wouldn't like to do. The Original cooler on the Radeon is measly at best, and totally inadequate, I'd rather keep the beast as is...
    No need anymore, got them from the seller, and the slots are just as I feared... Time for some thinking.
    Puuh, I'm still alive and kicking. G4 has now got a 550W ATX-PSU and SATA card is on its way. Still need to figeure out if I could use an all copper Spire for the CPU...
    You'll need a custom mounting plate for the G4, but there's no reason why not.
    crims, don't tell anyone, but i was just let in on a little secret that apple are about to start producing hardware again!
    Biff: I donw't think I'll need a plate for the cooler - it's all flat, and so's the original one too. Installing the PSU was easy as a-b-d :D
    chris: eh?
    Just check spacing- you don't want to crack the G4 die.
    Maybe it's just me, but with all this tinkering you seem to like to do, and PC parts as cheap as they are, I'd investigate in a G4 case conversion, Hackintosh style. Maybe not quite as cheap, but going Intel will get you much better performance and an upgrade path to snow leopard. Just make sure you pick stuff that Apple has had in their hardware at some point.
    Chris meant that why are you dragging your G4 along all this time. The newest macmini is better than that :D
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, even picking up an old Core Duo Intel would produce better results (though I'm of the mindset that you should treat yourself and pick up something brand new, if possible).
    Biff: right on.
    Others: I'd love to go intel, but hte problem is money, as always. Mini? Hell no - I want to be able to expand.
    You seem to be pouring more and more cash into that G4, that's what makes us think you've got money. :D

Expand for what? By the time the Mini isn't enough for you, it's time to replace it anyway. Keep the G4 as a file server, throw some hard drives in there, and do the heavy lifting on a faster machine.
    heehee, the DA cost me 50 euros, and yesterday I sold my older setup (GigE/1Gb/60+60Gb/RAGE 128 Pro alongside the ill-fated but working Sawtooth that once resided in the gray server case about the size of a mini cooper...) for 60 euros, earlier I sold the el cheapo SATA controller for 15 euros (bought it at 24e), and even a bit earlier than that I sold my other Radeon 9800 Pro for 30 euros - so all in all, after getting a OWC SATA2PCI 2ext/int ports, selectable) for 50e and an ATX power for another 50e, I've spent... total of ~100e during 2 years on this...

My wife is currently unemployed and will not work anytime soon, for we are expecting one more sagittarius to this world:happy: which in turn means I cannot afford anything fancy eyt. If I win in Lotto then I'll get the top of the line with no holds barred:D Or just go the Hackintosh way. Dunno, will have to wait and see what future brings.
    it's not just the euros, crims, it's the amount of time and labour spent on it ;)

but seriously, congrats on the other news ;) :D !!
    Some of those prices are semi-appalling to me, but Euro != USD, nor is the market the same.