$100 house

edited March 2009 in conversations
i came across this a little while back, and thought i'd use this thread to dump a few videos and links :D

Comments

• edited 2:47PM
    New York Times article

RECENTLY, at a dinner party, a friend mentioned that he’d never seen so many outsiders moving into town. This struck me as a highly suspect statement. After all, we were talking about Detroit, home of corrupt former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, beleaguered General Motors and the 0-16 Lions. Compared with other cities’ buzzing, glittering skylines, ours sits largely abandoned, like some hulking beehive devastated by colony collapse. Who on earth would move here?

Then again, I myself had moved to Detroit, from Brooklyn. For $100,000, I bought a town house that sits downtown in the largest and arguably the most beautiful Mies van der Rohe development ever built, an island of perfect modernism forgotten by the rest of the world.

Two other guests that night, a couple in from Chicago, had also just invested in some Detroit real estate. That weekend Jon and Sara Brumit bought a house for $100.

Ah, the mythical $100 home. We hear about these low-priced “opportunities” in down-on-their-luck cities like Detroit, Baltimore and Cleveland, but we never meet anyone who has taken the plunge. Understandable really, for if they were actually worth anything then they would cost real money, right? Who would do such a preposterous thing?

more >>>
    powerhouse - design99

3 Story, Colonial - DETROIT, MI

breath taking, colonial, limestone exterior, hardwood floors, gourmet kitchen, grand chandeliers, marble bath, jacuzzi tubs, finished basement, $50k

being short sold, even though it was bought for 'only $300k' in 2006, ffs america.
    that would be awesome. i shudder to think what the inside looks like. there's probably no copper plumbing left in it and everything else of value is probably gutted by now.
    no, nim - "hardwood floors, gourmet kitchen, grand chandeliers, marble bath, jacuzzi tubs"
    at one point in time. i find it hard to believe that all that stuff is still there and looks great considering they aren't showing any of those photos.
    well, i wondered why there were no photos of the interior, and how likely these places are to get stripped of anything that even resembles anything of value, but i'm not convinced. security guards? :D

i mean, they are still advertising it with those fixtures, and it's only been on there for a fortnight. it's possible that the guy is still living there, too, of course.
    when i first read it and saw the price, i thought it was one of those "you buy it but you have to move it" deals :D
    hehe

there were far cheaper there, like a couple of gee for a 3-bed house, but smaller. i picked this one because, well, you know, $50k for a small palace is pretty good.