Best way to add search function to a website?

edited January 2009 in advice
Any suggestions for a script? As usual for my requests, it should be free and easy to use with minimal coding skills. I've seen a few out there but have no way to evaluate if they would be good. It's a for a smallish site....less than 20 pages but it's for an author and there's lots of text and information, so I thought for students and others doing research it would be handy to be able to search the site. I don't really like what Google has to offer mainly because you have to leave the site and end up at Google with ads and stuff.

thanks,
vfb

Comments

• edited 4:11PM
    just give people instructions on how to use advanced search in google :D
    google site search? $100/year for a 20 page site.
    you could try something like http://www.sitelevel.com/index.shtml which would be free for that amount of pages :)
  • Thanks chris, that (sitelevel) looks ok but I don't like the idea of having their ads displayed on the results page.
    i guess you could move the current site into some sort of database, and do it that way... build the site using a cms, wordpress or whatever, but these both mean far more work.
  • chris said..... build the site using a cms, wordpress or whatever, but these both mean far more work.
    cough... choke...yeah, waaay too much work for this purpose.
    I guess I thought there might be a small script out there which would build it's own small database just for this function. Or maybe I don't understand how the whole thing works.
    there probably is, to be honest.
    http://www.google.com/coop/cse/
    • Standard edition - Free, ads are required on results pages.
    - Do not show ads on results pages (for non-profits, universities, and government agencies only).

• Business edition - Starts at $100 per year, no ads on results pages.
  • It's not non-profit.... so too bad about that.

But I found sphider

and the search engine project

I think both are open source