Dark FLV's

edited January 2009 in advice
I'm wondering if anyone knows about a problem I'm having with flv's. I am outputting a finished and scoped video from Final Cut Pro to a flv file and the video looks noticeably darker than how it should be. Is this a common thing that I haven't noticed until now? If so, how can I get around it? I have been using the On2 VP6 codec @ 1200 kbps. Am I going to have to re-scope for the web? I'm trying to avoid the extra/duplicate work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited 8:49PM
    I personally have given up on colour management. When stuff looks good on my grading suite, I export to all necessary formats (what ever may they be for the project) and ignore the results. If the work sucks, good colour can't fix it, or if the work is good, a little bit off colours, that I only notice, can't kill it :)

I never even use a monitor.. All the rape the work is going to recieve on people's tv sets makes trying to aim for perfectly matching colours a losing battle :)

Shh, don't tell anyone!!! !

?
    well, the final on the NTSC monitor look all well and good, and colour isn't the problem, per se, it's just that the flv export looks noticeably darker than, say, if it was exported as a quicktime format.

How about this On2 Flix Pro? Has anyone used it? It seems to provide a means of applying image filters (brightness, contrast, hue, saturation) on export.
    1200kbps is likely too high for web streaming :)
    chris said...1200kbps is likely too high for web streaming :)
    been working like a charm for us, and it's the only way I know of to get a clear image. Am I doing this wrong?
    you've tested this over internet, or lan?
    chris said...1200kbps is likely too high for web streaming :)
    what chris wrote
    chris said...you've tested this over internet, or lan?
    Yeah, both, but that doesn't really address the dark issue, Exporting the video in anything other than flash and the brightness looks like the original. Exporting to an .flv is dark and it's noticeable.
    nah, i was referring to the 1200kbps bit when i mentioned testing it over the web.
    i mean, i'd be heading for something closer to 400kbps for web streaming.
    lol. yeah, I figured. Here's one I did on a two part feature of our new building. They're at 1000 kbps but not as dark as the one I am currently working on.

http://www.hydro.mb.ca/projects/downtown/