Padlocked MB?

edited January 2009 in advice
Did a bit of reading and music this morning, and then as weekly routine, ran Cocktail and shut down.

Later, starting up, PANIC !! All I got was a grey screen with a dark closed padlock on it, a small white rectangular box under it (no cursor) and a small black arrow pointing right. Clicked the arrow and nothing happened.

I used the power on/off button to turn the MB off, and then tried again.

Same thing!!

Shut down, and holding Cmd-Shift-PRAM, pushed the power button. Instead of the chimes I was expecting, I got a long beeeep. Once I released the keys, my MB started up as usual. (I did this as it was the only thing, and first thing, that I could immediately remember,)

But now I don't feel so secure about it all. What's going to happen next time I try to start up? And why did this happen?

Any ideas or help much appreciated.

Comments

• edited 10:25AM
    It sounds like you've got an Open Firmware password enabled - have you attempted to enable this? That white box in the middle is actually used for typing in the password.

Easiest solution is to shut down, remove one of your RAM chips, then startup again. After it starts up normally, you can put the RAM in again.

This is definitely a MacBook, right? In this case, Intel vs. PowerPC is important, that's why I ask.
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

And yes, I do have the Open Firmware Password enabled. It's my way of feeling some security if in the unlikely event my MB is stolen, that the rest of my life might be protected.

But all the time, I only start up and enter the password when it's starting up. That Closed Padlock did cause some disruption to my feelings.

Another startup was fine - no padlock, no problem. And the idea of trying to open the laptop and messing about with its guts doesn't appeal to me :-)

Maybe the problem resolved itself? Even that doesn't make me feel confident.

I startup and use it several times a day, usually at different locations, so here's hoping I don't get that sinking feeling again. I was just wondering what suddenly caused that closed padlock!
    What do you mean? Although I haven't used Open Firmware myself, from my reading it sounds like that padlock is normal behavior.

Also, to access the RAM, shut down the computer, take out the battery, and use a #0 screwdriver to take out the metal door that wraps around the inside of the battery bay. The screws won't come off the door, that's okay. The memory is right there, it's much easier than older Macs.

So you're saying now it doesn't ask for the Open Firmware password at all?

P.S. - Considering how easy it is to defeat Open Firmware protection, I'd instead recommend using encryption for the important stuff, in the event that your MacBook is stolen. If they can't manage to just reset the Open Firmware password, they can just remove your hard drive (which is also easy on the MacBook).
    Strange, but it hasn't happened again.

I have the Open Firmware Password set from quite a long time ago. When I start up, I get the Apple universe picture with a login dialogue box. I enter my password, and then it continues the startup through the desktop and apps I want as startups.

And yes, it asks for that password, just as it has done for the time I've had it. Only that "interval" with the closed dark grey padlock on a grey screen, with the rectangular box but no cursor, and the right arrow that did nothing except blink when I pushed it.

I had been led to believe that using the Open Firmware protection was very good - unable to start up directly, or with disc, or as target, without that password. And that apparently even removing the hard drive was doubtful, that it couldn't be accessed (not sure about this idea).

I'm going to do my best not to need to access that memory. I get shivers even thinking about opening the inside of my MB.

(Did it once, years ago, with a Classic, I think it was, to put in a new drive, and we had loads of problems. But that was years ago and I really don't remember much about it, other than it wasn't my Mac!)
    Hehe. A lot's definitely changed - it's not nearly as dangerous now, for one. I do this all of the time. ;)

Open Firmware is indeed very good protection, for those reasons - you can't startup the computer, boot from a disc, etc. But it's only another temporary measure if you walk away from your desk for a few minutes. It's not foolproof protection in the event that your MacBook is stolen.

Still not sure what happened there, but try resetting your PRAM for good measure.
    You mean reset the PRAM again?

That's what seemed to get me out of that strange padlock, but I got a long beeeep instead of the chimes. Maybe that's a difference between a desktop Mac (done it with them to chime) and the laptops like the MB?

Guess it wouldn't do any harm to do it again, would it?

Then again, haven't had a reoccurrence, so ....
    Long beep is normally indicative of a startup where the firmware is looking for an update- it's the beginning of the firmware update process.
    Well, I know everything's up to date, and as it hasn't happened again .....

Just curious as to why it happened at all!