XML and Indesign

edited November 2008 in advice
i'm working on a proof of concept for transporting a lot of the day to day data we shuffle about in clunky word files into an xml data entry sequence.

powers that be insist that all forms however mundane must be beautiful (annoying, but fine if it keeps me in work in a downturn)

i have sold them on the ability to create indesign templates that will show up by different field inclusions reports based on the xml 'feed' and yet, there my knowledge of xml in indesign ends. our graphics guys are no help. their solution was to make a paper templat and have people enter data by hand for it to be passed back to graphics to insert the text into their template filds :/

anyone using this feature day to day that can spare an ear?

t.i.a.

Comments

• edited 4:28PM
    Well i had a go about a couple of years ago (i even posted on bb for help too) ... the documentation is fairly hefty stuff, but i reckon you'll suss it in no time. I tried it in ID2 but it's implementation was pretty poor. I ran out of time, and my workload with creative increased, so i couldn't finish the R&D.

I recommend reading up here and read through ALL the xml stuff found here.

I really could have done with more time on it, as i started to get my head round it (i'm no coder as you know) - but alas. I've heard CS4 Indesign has it all sewn up with regards to xml.
  • edited 4:28PM
    thanks meska

this has reared its head again ... anyone else advanced this?