Glimmerblocker: Adblocker for OS X (Safari!! - plus the rest)

edited November 2008 in advice
"The problem with other ad-blockers for Safari is that they are implemented as awful hacks: as an InputManager and/or ApplicationEnhancer. This compromises the stability of Safari and very often create problems when Apple releases a new version of Safari.GlimmerBlocker is implemented as an http proxy, so the stability of Safari isn't compromised because it doesn't use any hacks. It is even compatible with all other browsers.You'll always be able to upgrade Safari without breaking GlimmerBlocker (or waiting for a new release); and you'll be able to upgrade GlimmerBlocker without upgrading Safari."

much more info at the site, of course.

Requires Mac OS 10.5

Glimmerblocker is OpenSource and free.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Sounds interesting, but I've been too happy with AdBlock to start messing with proxies. ;)

Any luck with this?
  • edited 6:03AM
    smooth as silk, flak. i'd almost quit using Safari because the adblocking apps availabe were so problematic and ineffectual.

this is good.

i did download the addon for iTunes (a simple .xml script). there aren't a lot of extras by other contributors so far, other than some danish-specific ones, but the basic package is handling just about everything ... heh one day in.
    Cool! Might just give it a try, then - thanks, mick. :D
    i use saft but admit its a pain in the ass, most of the sites i go to don't have ads and what not so not a big deal to mee
    but i like downloading and checking business out for the hell of it, so i will test mick
    if i don't like i put you on list
    (i never put mick on list...i will put flak in yo place)
    The joke's on you, I'm already on there. :D
    eh.. relax; orson's just giving me some flak.

*cough*