Which font utility for Leopard

edited October 2008 in advice
so after several months of use, any consensus on font utilities for leopard?
anybody with big font libraries getting by with just font book ( think that's what the included app is called in english)?

I'm having problems loading fonts into font book.

Comments

• edited 3:39PM
    Font book is just not industrial strength.

there's quite a few fans of the free Linotype FontExplorer X here.
    If you were already hooked into something monolithic like Suitcase Fusion, I likely would keep my mouth shut. i've read sob stories about trying to switch from Suitcase Fusion to LFE.
    Red... there's a whole thread here on LFE.

http://www.fazyluckers.com/discussion/119/linotype-fontexplorer-x/#Item_6

lots of us use it happily.
  • thanks mick, i actually posted there in the day, same problem still i suppose, LFE doesn't play withƒ%€ing quark!
    was hoping somebody had another idea.
    ah sorry, pal.

suggestion: edit the thread title to include the quark limitation?

:)
  • i'm too embarrassed to say quark so loudly
    heh.. it's not shameful. i hear quark has improved a lot... ish. ;)

overbyte, for one, still uses it. i'm sure there's more people that use it. maybe heh
    the Quark font forum seems to indicate that Suitcase Fusion works ok with the app... as long as you're using Mac OS 10.5x.

QuarkXPress: Fonts (Mac OS)
    Bug fixes (1.2.3):
    Instability (freezes, crashes) with QuarkXPress 6.5 when using the Plug-In have been fixed (new Plug-In v1.41)
    but i don't use quark, so i wouldn't know how nice it plays :)
    Suitcase works fine with Quark.

Also, don't be embarrassed... there's actually nothing wrong with the recent versions of Xpress. People just like to get on their high horses about stupid stuff :smile:
    I'm on a Shetland Pony, and it still sucks. (Quark that is)
    ur doin it rong
    i still think "Quark" is a cool name, btw.
    There's a really obscure Quark reference from seventies television I'm trying to make here, but I leave it as an exercise for the reader.
  • interestingly (spooky actually) i just got a free trial offer for suitcase in my spambox, opening it now. i use suitcase in my office on my old g5, works pretty well. i'd have run it on my macbookpro as well but i seem to remember the version wasn't compatible with leopard and until now fontbook was coping. i don't use the probook for much heavy work and almost never quark. i guess i should do some serious upgrading. i'm on the last vers of jaguar??? or something and cs2 on the g5. everything just works so well i haven't bothered to load in the new stuff even though i actually bought it (at least one copy).

PS the suitcase 30 day trial just period wanted to start right away so i did a forced quit, hoping that it will still give me 30 days when i open it, because tomorrow i'm going on holiday to, surf, windsurf and kiteboard. no f#€%&ing quark, or any other apps except may be some photo downloads and little firefox!

thanks for the advice!
    I still use... ahem.... quar...k...

7.31 with Suitcase Fusion. And its all dandy. Apart from the fact its Quark!
    /me shrugs and leaves thread muttering stuff about workmen and tools
    hehe, this workman's tools are all good :D
    Don't get me wrong, Xpress in its day rocked. I used to be the shortcut king, and could knock up stuff pretty fast on it. Whatever joy i got from Xpress was from purely figuring out how to get past its inadequacies and doing workarounds ( you need to know you shit when you're fucking about with kerning pairs, and manual trapping). And it was a workhorse of an application, you could do entire books in a single document.

Then Indesign came along, i had suspicions about its authenticity as a serious production tool from V.1 to 2, but CS3 Indesign rawks. I keep learning so many new things about it on every job i do. These aren't workarounds, they're new features. And i've just played around with it in CS4 and it is seriously brilliant.

Quark lost their footing, their pricing policy was ridiculous - i mean do you remember when Quark was £1100, and Indesign £295 - and they were slow on improving the tools creative people could use, their loss is Adobe's gain.
    I hear you mate :)

I hear people complimenting InDesign all day long. I just never learned how to use it yet :awkward:

Since they fixed opacities in Quark, Ive been comfortable with it so havent bothered to learn InDesign. One day..... ;)
    It's actually very very easy to move from Xpress to Indesign. You should start off IDCS3/4 with Quark Xpress shortcuts - but if you know how to use Illustrator, it's pretty much the same as that but with multiple page ability.
    yeah, I have dabbled with it, and with the Quark shortcuts enabled, its just that Ive only really been working on large projects with 5, 6 and 7 colour setups so I aint got the balls to migrate just yet!!!
  • edited October 2008
    For what my comment on this is worth as an amateur I really think InDesign is real neat. I started with Quark version 5 but switched to InDesign with version 2.0 because of all the fuss about OS X ;-)

InDesign has a steep learning curve (and it is literally straightforward if you know Photoshop already, because of the shared palettes and stuff) and I have done almost all my projects with ID -- tried to pick up Quark 8 just for the heck of it but I found it real hard to figure out... I didn't even manage to set up a grid with guides (could be I just lazy and subconciusly wanted to stick to InDesign tho :tongue: )
    Font Explorer here gave up on Suitcase/Fusion. I still quite like Quark but don't really care which (Use ID too)... though I still get f**ked off that Quark still can't do documents larger than 4 foot!
    I'd appreciate if they (Linotype) would get their butts in gear and release plugin's for CS4 apps. Guess I'm getting what I paid for with FEX...
  • edited October 2008
    Hm, CS4 isn't out yet technically speaking, just for the American market. I for my part am still waiting for a localized version --- since Linotype is in Germany maybe they have things planned for December when CS4 will be available there... tho it didn't take them too long to have CS3 compatibility when CS3 came out :awkward:
    As a thought, since PDF files embed fonts when you produce them properly, why must you keep thousands of fonts installed all the time?
    Biff said...As a thought, since PDF files embed fonts when you produce them properly, why must you keep thousands of fonts installed all the time?
    I believe it is some kind of designer machismo thing...
    ;)

:D
    I had this sudden urge to manage my system fonts, now. Man, I can't wait for the sequel.