iCal Won't Delete

edited September 2008 in advice
This is more than annoying. I try to delete a recurring event in iCal, and the damned event keeps reappearing.

I try a single delete, and that seems to work, but if I try "All Future Events" the current one is momentarily gone, but if I check future years, it's still there, and when I return to the current year, the damned thing has popped up again.

Any ideas of how I can fix this thing without losing all the other events I want to keep?

Comments

• edited 2:44PM
    When you delete the event, are you deleting the first instance of it on the calendar? Like, you'll need to go back to the first one and delete that (along with "future events" if it asks).

Also, are you syncing the calendar online with anything else? Just wondering if there's something that could be writing the calendar at the same time.
    No synching, just the iCal on my iMac and occasionally using Synchronize Pro to keep my MacBook up to date.

I do have events that were valid in the past but have no relevance in the future. So, I leave the ones in the past as they were, go to the current one, or the one for next year (which, of course, extends into eternity) and select it, use the delete key, and then have the choice to Cancel, Delete this Event Only, or Delete this and all future events. I choose the latter, and the event reappears, both currently and in future years.

Seems that any recurring event won't delete. As I said, annoying. And I hope I don't have to find the original event, years ago, and delete from there. One of the nice things is to have a record of things.
    Ooh yeah, in that case, it sounds like a bug.

It sounds extreme, but you might want to consider exporting your calendar, then deleting and reimporting it. See if that helps.

(be sure to make a backup first)
    Resolved!! at least sort of ....

I discovered that instead of deleting and trying to make the choice between the individual event and all future ones, if I just chose the event, then edited it and selected the option of Repeat Event: None, then the whole thing will disappear for the current and all future events.

Strange, but here's the info in case anyone else has the difficulty, and decides to do a search.
    Thanks JusMe, glad everything's working! :D