a "psychic" toy. does anyone know the math trick behind this?

edited September 2008 in advice
i'd like to use it for math tutoring fun, but it's best to know the answer beforehand. heh

The Flash Mind Reader (swf)

Comments

• edited 7:13AM
    Help, someone please give me a tin foil hat!

Thanks mick, you've successfully given me nightmares for the next week!!

:wink:
    wtf?
    ahh. the answer is always divisible by 9.

Nightmares over.
    wtf retracted
    WTF?!
    lol @ you Christopher
    it wasn't a wtf at the 'math trick', btw :D
    funny, because it wasn't the wtf that wasn't about the math trick, I was just lolling at you in general :tongue:
    oh.
    :'(
    but i guess, if you can't lol at me, then who can you lol at, right?

:'( :'(
    Chin up champ:happy:

:wink:
  • edited September 2008
    that's embarrassing. :) way too simple. i wish i'd thought about it more, but i was moving fast on my way out the door.

dividing by nine *sigh*

aaaand... LOL!
  • WTF!?
    elliot's comment led me to work it through a bit more.

pick any two digits, x and y to make a two digit number: 10 * x + y.
    subtract the sum of the digits: 10 * x + y - ( x + y ) = 9 * x.

if you look at the graphic, all the multiples of nine have the same symbol.

aaand... the symbols next to the numbers divisible by nine change from round to round.

the bright shiny blue button distracts.

very nice. i'm going to get some bwahaha from this.

thank you so much. :)
    I think this trick is a cover for an Al Qaeda terrorist training and propaganda portal...

micks original link http://www.12mu.com/35/1.swf

check out these other pages....

http://www.12mu.com/1/
    http://www.12mu.com/3/
    http://www.12mu.com/19/

number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine number nine......hehehe!
    Holy Fucking SHIT!!!
    ok, i'm not squeamish, but ..do not follow those links .... just don't.
  • edited September 2008
    thank you, sinar.

i've edited the original link. i'm hosting it now.

wow.. i often look around a site when i find something. didn't. shoulda.
    ahhh, the good old divide-by-nine-trick-flash-game + the good old propaganda-camo-website-trick. nice try! ;)

[hide]sorry mick, j/k ;) i do like this flashgame tho :)[/hide]
  • edited September 2008
    If you are interested in teaching the basis of this flash puzzle as a maths class I can recommend Number 9: The Search for the Sigma Code. Its a very engaging and entertaining little book revealing a childlike inner beauty of number series'. Cecil Balmond is a highly respected structural engineer currently working on such projects as the CCTV HQ ith OMA in Beijing

Computer Rendered Photo of the CCTV Headquarters Building in Beijing at dusk.
    thank you, urban. :)

tutoring and guiding in a "homework club" environment for kids interested in maths and science isn't quite teaching, but yes i want to use it. identifying patterns and thinking using constants is the focus i'm going for. i'll try to get a copy of the book.

cool pic. *counting spaces* :D

do y'all realize how close i came to sending those kids to that site? i'm very grateful to sinar for taking a look around. it would have been a bit more than a "wtf". valuable lesson/reminder for me to take that extra step.

x