designers are wankers

edited February 2007 in conversations
imageThe opening chapter of Lee McCormack's extremely engaging manifesto/how-to book on becoming an industrial designer begins, "Don't be a wanker! Embrace what it means to be a professional designer. Making the transition from design student to successful creative often involves a lot of reassessment, adaptation and resignation--just when you thought you'd cracked it and got that qualification, you realize that your actual education starts here ." Written in plain and often playful English, and featuring chapter headings like, "How to relate to the business mind," "Clients, they write the cheques," "Manufacturers are a different breed," "Protecting your ideas," and "Identifying the sharks," this must-have bible for any aspiring designer also contains substantial interviews with Neville Brody, Jason Kirk, Karim Rashid, Piers Roberts and Paul Smith.

amazon.com

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Just thought I'd provide an exerpt from the "About the Author" section of that Amazon page:

"Lee McCormack is a designer/entrepreneur known for creating the "Oculas," a product that improves an individual's experience of sound and vision--as seen on the BBC and CNN. Lee McCormack is a designer/entrepreneur known for creating the "Oculas," a product that improves an individual's experience of sound and vision--as seen on the BBC and CNN. Lee McCormack is a designer/entrepreneur known for creating the "Oculas," a product that improves an individual's experience of sound and vision--as seen on the BBC and CNN. [...]"

:smile:
  • edited 11:18PM
    Erm, Chris, did the code in your post move my user info over? hmm? :wink:
    i've no idea what you are talking about, ahem...

also, there is a little more to the 'about the author' bit thaan that. only just though :)
    Oh, by the way the book looks really good too. :happy: