Printing issue

edited August 2008 in advice
I have an Epson 7600 printer and have been trying to figure out how to print an eight foot continuos print of the artwork in Illustrator. I only seem to be able to print an A1 size, which means several segments. Does anyone know if it's possible to print a 96 inch X 16 inch piece from a roll printer? I've been at it for 4 hours now and have resigned myself to the fact that I will have seams in the end product. BASTARD!!! I hate when technology f*cks me up. The Illustrator print preferences won't allow me to set a custom size, any suggestions.....

Comments

• edited 4:36AM
    may be a stupid question, but is InDesign an option? even save as pdf and print from acrobat, as long as the correct printer and page set up are selected and specs are put in, and it prints just fine.....
    I'm not familiar with that model, do you need a RIP with it?
    you need to go to page setup select you 7600 then select the paper size. You have to click "manage custom sizes" under page size, then create a 96 x 16, then select, custom paper size. I am pretty sure this is the answer, i have worked on a 4800 pro and 9880 pro but not the 7600 however it should be the same.
    T
    tobiko
    I think the problem is that I need a print management software like a rip. I had tried the "manage custom sizes" but when it came time to select "custom" in the paper size it's grayed out. Seems I can only print up to 90cms on this using the Illustrator print panel.
    bull
    Not sure if the print settings would be any different with Indesign as it's another Adobe app.
    Biff
    The 7600 is a 24 inch roll fed printer. It has now been replaced by the 7800.
    sinar, if you follow tob's advice, and set up a custom page size using "Page Setup..." in the illustrator print box, you just need to have the media size as "defined by driver", rather than custom.

make sure that once you create your custom 96" long page size that you then select it before clicking "OK" to get out of the "Page Setup..." box.
    good call chris. Also in my limited experience RIPS are mostly used for percise color management rather than size.

T
    tobiko said...good call chris. Also in my limited experience RIPS are mostly used for percise color management rather than size.

T
    yep, this is correct.

tob and chris have given the details ... works the same in InD, basically
    I'll try that out tonight.
    thanks all!!