aperture or lightroom

edited July 2008 in advice
My nephew is a budding photographer and is (thanks to me) a mac user in a PC household. He has a trial version of Adobe Lightroom and is getting good results. His trial runs out soon enough but along comes his birthday.

We would like to set him up with a replacement but wondered if there were any recommendations viz. the titled comparison (or others)

TIA

Comments

• edited 2:21AM
    1160-4301-7977-0221-2925-0568

seriously though, they both have their positives, but i prefer aperture
    it just seems more in tune with what i want
    I have never owned or used windows(i dont hate windows...its just a fact)
    aperture seems much more applish(can i say that?) and intuitive
    being redundant now they are both goodo programs, but no need for two
    on one system if i had to choose aperture...just sayin is all

(yeah im drunk!)
    eh
    bump for any more :)
    lightroom 2, I think it hooks into PS much better, theres not a hell of a lot of difference between the two though, both are good.
    did you try them today?
  • edited August 2008
    Both very close...

I've not tried Lightroom 2 but between LR1 and Aperture I'd go Aperture... but if they've already been getting on well with LR...
    I used to use Lightroom but switched to Aperture. I like the speed of Lightroom but I think Aperture does a better job with my organization system and dealing with colors. I think Aperture needs to work on its preview speed and then it will be better than Lightroom.

T
    I tried aperture on a friends comp a little while back, and I'm trying the free trial of lightroom now. I think tobiko hit the nail on the head really with some of the differences between the two.

It's difficult to pick between them but I'm going to use lightroom because I have several PC's here too.
    any more feedback base?
    There was an aperture update on the 28th of July. This evidently increased the speed of preview, amongst other things.
    lightroom all the way. Ive been using it for a while now, and have done a lot of training on it. It kills apeture in my opinion. I tried Apeture for a bit and just didnt like it.
    Apeturé sounds like some sort of wearable monkey