PNG fix that works with Background images too...

edited July 2008 in advice
Happy Sunday all (unless you're coding CSS!)...

Think this is the first time I've posted for help, hope someone is listening :)

I think the topic sums up my cry for help quite well! I have a PNG fix that works on foreground images okay but I really could do with one that work with background too...

Comments

• edited 1:26PM
    i presume you mean to enable the alpha channel of a png in the background to display on internet explorer prior to version 7?
    background of the body or block elements?
  • edited July 2008
    Yes, sorry, to allow the alpha, of (the bg of) a block element...
    try this
    cool ub', I shall give it a go and let you know how I get on...
  • edited July 2008
    its js - which is sucky, but needs must

because of the legacy issue, there comes a time when it is worth continuing to support older browsers, but be willing to accpt you aren't delivering identical content to them. in some cases, however, i have found that working differently for IE<7 using conditionals can be preferable - depends what you are after of course.
    ...yes, that was crossing my mind too (IE<7). I know I can fix it other way to, by simply breaking the background down too, so was just really seeing if I could give myself more options (and keep the >7 approach)...

Ta for the guidance, hope I can return the favour some time...
    I use this. It doesn't like postioned BG elements, but it's fine if they are set 0 0.

I too use a conditional because you ony need it for ie6.
    jesse said...I use this. It doesn't like postioned BG elements, but it's fine if they are set 0 0.
    the link i posted above is the same method but fixed to address the problems you state

the one you posted is also what i have used til now when i searched following peak's question - so i haven't tested the fix
  • edited July 2008
    <!-- [if lt IE 7]>
    You are using IE<7
    <![endif]-->
    for anyone unfamiliar with conditionals
  • edited July 2008
    This was the source for a hack used on another project (for reference):

allinthehead sleight
    24ways