Alot of Dust in Photo

pjpj
edited July 2008 in advice
ello all-

i have been going thru photos from a road trip we did in '05 & i have to say there is a crapload of dust that apparently was on the lens. waaaaaaaaaaay too much to sit & rubber stamp out since there are well over 1800+ photos. is there any technique or easier method than completely manual? i tried to use the dust & scratches filter, but it barely did anything. thanks in advance for the knowledge :)

cheers!
p to the j

Comments

• edited 9:13AM
    can you post an example?

a lot of the time, you can use the dust and scratches filter as part of a longer process (of spot healing, and level adjustments etc). this is not easy to automate, though - 1800+ photos may take some time :D

polaroid have a free application/plug-in which does similar stuff to dust&scratches. ymmv :)
    cannon software has an auto dust thingy where I think once it knows where said dust is it zips through and fixes the area
  • edited July 2008
    Dust on the lens transfers as a slight blur on the image. Retouch any select images and accept the result on the rest. A painful reminder to always check and clean your lenses! It should only be noticeable on enlargements and will appear fine on 4x6 prints for the album. You can always say that you were testing a spot soft focus filter (hehehe). If you were using a zoom lens at full zoom and wide open then the effect will be softer, but if stopped down the dust effect will be crisper. The previous suggestions are for dust on the chip not on the lens.
  • pjpj
    edited 9:13AM
    chris said...it's no longer supported though, i don't think
    it does still work & it works pretty well for what i need :D

¡gracias!
    live and learn. always, ALWAYS make sure the lens is clean before shooting. this especially goes for video. nothing like getting home to watch video only to realize everything looks like it was shot through a lens that a dog slobbered all over.

hope all is well on your end sweetie. good to see you pop in now and then. :)
    nimmot said...this especially goes for video. nothing like getting home to watch video only to realize everything looks like it was shot through a lens that a dog slobbered all over.
    and thats the truth ruth!!!

Nice find @ chris~i didnt know that existed. Works fine in PS CS3, and for a free plug, actually does a pretty damn good job!
    lol, video...

we shoot quite a lot of video from externally mounted cameras whilst driving / riding, for work.

i can't tell you how many times i've sat down to import clips from a bunch of dv tapes, only to see one of us turning the camera on, giving the lens a wipe to make sure that it's clean, then jumping in the car and driving off only to catch a fly on the lens within 2 minutes. tape - worthless hehe