Dreamweaver won't show browser previews properly any more.

edited February 2007 in advice
All of a sudden Dreamweaver is unable to give a proper browser preview in some browsers. Safari, I.E. and Opera all work ok but Camino, Firefox and Netscape only work if Dreamweaver launches the app but then I only get only one preview. Once the app is open, Dreamweaver generates an incorrect temp address, for instance adding an extra /....... file:///mydrive/Users/..........

Up until today I never noticed the temp path, but it always worked on all browsers. I have trashed every pref file I could think of but it still does this. Any thoughts on what's going on and how to fix it? I can preview by correcting the address but it's a pain.

Comments

• edited 8:21PM
    Weird... i've never had this happen to me and all I can think of is to reinstall.

Which version of dreamweaver are you using, and which os? I've tried to search around on this, but didn't find anything.
  • Weird indeed.
    I'm using Dreamweaver 8 and on 10.3.9.
    It occurs to me that I recently installed a Java security update but think I had been using it ok for a few days. I can't think of anything weird or unusual I was doing at the time either.
  • edited 8:21PM
    This happened to me...it wouldn't load pictures or anything that wasn't on the document i tried to preview... I managed to fix it though...although i'm not quite sure how... something involving the way dreamweaver handles the site definition....relative or absolute site links maybe...play around with it, and you should be able to find it...

And yes, it did just decide to do it out of the blue....stupid program... :p
  • Thanks but it's a bit different here. The browser will show things properly IF the local address is right. But for some reason once the browser is open, I get a "page cannot be displayed - check the address" type of message. Sure enough, the address is different this time around and seems like it has an extra character. I'm not even sure if I can blame it on Dreamweaver since some of the browsers work as normal.
  • Just for fun I fired up an older version..... Dreamweaver MX., and let it build a new preference file and its the very same thing. Maybe it's not even a Dreamweaver issue?