so, i'm making a business card

edited June 2008 in advice
for a software developer. what are your initial and most excellent ideas for me to steal take on board during the design process?

Comments

• edited 2:41PM
    that's funny. :)

now, if you can distill that down into a glyph or 3......
    HEH
    i wish i was a better copywriter. i'm not sure how well something like this would fly with the guvnors though - we'll see :)
  • edited June 2008
    I'm not sure the "Much of our day..." bit would fly too well with clients.

Clients like to think you're sweating over something and working all hours to get things done.
    only clients with no sense of humour.

oh, wait...
    he he, waaaay ahead of you
    I loled
    Courier.. they will LOVE it
    i need some more copywriting...

i have this one -
    I’m Marcus. I’m a software developer. That means I apply a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software.

It encompasses techniques and procedures, often regulated by a software development process, with the purpose of improving the reliability and maintainability of software systems.

The effort is necessitated by the potential complexity of those systems, which may contain millions of lines of code.

You'd never believe I was also an extreme sports enthusiast, right?.
    the extreme sports thing is a little weak, i think.

i also have
    I’m Mike. I’m a software developer. That means I apply a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software.

It encompasses techniques and procedures, often regulated by a software development process, with the purpose of improving the reliability and maintainability of software systems.

The effort is necessitated by the potential complexity of those systems, which may contain millions of lines of code.

My caffeine requirement is quite high.
    mike and caffeine go hand in hand. the last line needs more kick though. and, of course, the rest of the copy needs replacing, as it can't be the same as marcus'.
    we'll have 3 cards. we'll give each person to get a card a fictitious job title (related in some way to the person, whether through actual role, or hinting at personality trait, etc).
    i think i just became the Director of Colouring In, btw.
  • edited June 2008
    can I be Vice President of Swatchbook-match Authentication?
    sure thing :)

ok, gimme a font name to use. logo uses helvetica, and i was going to use variants of that. but, there's quite a block of text now, so i'd like to throw a serif into the mix. how about charter? i like palatino, too. come on, gimme some serif complements to helvetica please :)
    Perpetua
    Goudy Old Style
    are you suggesting these above palatino or charter?
    YES
    Palatino is hideous
    and charter just looks a bit like palatino, so yeah
    charter seems much wider than palatino... perpetua has a stupid name, so i guess i'll try some goudy old style.
    perpetua is bootiful though... once you get past its stupid name
  • edited June 2008
    i only have a perpetua regular and italic :(
    love Georgia, favorite widely deployed serif.
    there's another one, too. but it's a bit pointless posting that up atm as i still need to write some text for it.

that "distributable code" is real, and from an MS agreement...
    no one like them? :(
    I don't get it chris. Why so many words?
    the idea was that the reverse of the cards be purposely wordy with a short humorous 'pay off' at the end. marcus' did read "And I watch Star Trek, as if you hadn't guessed" instead of the mountain bike bit. this may have worked slightly better.

the other card is just poking a bit of fun at the amount of legalese that the guy has to deal with.
    Oh I see. Win then.
    sorry missed this!

I like the legal-ese one - particularly as the font size decreases into obscurity. Sounds like the legal department here when I do the trademark and standards manual - oh joys!

and i like the pay off on the mtn bike one, have you tried changing either to itals or color for the last line? i'm sure you have. I think type is a bit big perhaps, but that could be cuz these are larger than life-size when i click on them.

how many different people/titles you gotta do?
    there are only 3 - two directors and a senior dev.

i am seriously considering the 'star trek' payoff line though as it's definitely funnier.

(goudy @ 7pt, for the text, btw - it may drop a little, i haven't even printed this out yet ;))
    always good to print stuff out - so many things look different on paper vs on screen.
    i have a number of letterhead designs (basically, the only difference here is the placement of the logo element). please pick one :)

i'm considering making both the right and left margins a little wider, so the text area may become narrower. at the moment, the plan is to print the reverse of this with red (with possible inclusion of part of the logo knocked out of the red, creating a kind of watermarked effect when viewed from the front).

and those cards again.
    Letterhead: top right

/me looks at cards
    I like the coffeh stain... didn't I give you a better line for the mountain bike one? Or was that another card?

I dunno.
    top right? wtf?! that's way different from the one you liked last time :D

i like the coffee stain, too. but i think i'd prefer to keep this as a two colour job, tbh.
    top right LH
    you didn't show me the top right one last time :tongue:
    you know that when you hold it your hand will cover the logo bit, innit.
  • edited July 2008
    i was quite happy with one a few versions ago (i think it was the bottom top left one), but then i got to thinking about the stapling point being where the logo was, and if it's on the lhs you wouldn't see the logo whilst flipping through a file of papers and whatnot. not a great deal to worry about, i don't think.
    chris said...you know that when you hold it your hand will cover the logo bit, innit.
    what about moving the logo in that format? I like it, its nice and tight :)
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 2:41PM
    chris said...i have a number of letterhead designs (basically, the only difference here is the placement of the logo element). please pick one :)

i'm considering making both the right and left margins a little wider, so the text area may become narrower. at the moment, the plan is to print the reverse of this with red (with possible inclusion of part of the logo knocked out of the red, creating a kind of watermarked effect when viewed from the front).
    I like #6...it just be me(off kilter):wink:
  • Ve.Ve.
    chris said...
    and those cards again.
    #s 2 or 3 ,for me!
    they are different as they are for different people, ve ;)

there are two designs for two people, and one for another. i'm aiming for not 2 or 3 on these, so there wont be any illustrative elements on them hehe :)
  • Ve.Ve.
    ahhh I see...:smile:

It all represents good work though chris!:happy:
  • edited July 2008

now the cards will need changing a bit, innit.
    (they are not really going to go for this one, i bet ya)
  • Ve.Ve.
    Ooooo I LIKE!
    wierd i swear i posted top middle