Firefox 3

2»

Comments

• edited 11:22PM
    chicken said...since all I do with Ff3 is surf, I really don't care what the tabs in the prefs look like :)
    You don't care about the UI widgets on the pages, either? Load Google.com on Safari, then compare that with Google.com in Firefox.

The tabs were a glaring example of a larger problem with the interface itself.

That, and re-implementing keychain instead of using the one within OS X, shows exactly how much they don't "get it." If you want to build a Mac program, do it correctly. If you do a direct port of a Windows app, it's going to show.
    it's still faster that Safari by a lot for me. :) even with the jittery scrolling. (a consequence of speed? likely not)

i looked into the ad-block options for Safari. ugh. . some are famous for a performance hit, and some are just ... complicated exercises in grooming a complex custom list. i could do it with custom CSS, but i'm not literate. i want to surf, i don't want to groom. the best of the lot doesn't give the option for turning it on and off. there are quite a few vid sites that can't load if Ad-blocker is on (sneaky).
    I use PithHelmet - though one day, I'd like to give Safari AdBlock a try. Apparently you can link it to other lists, so I'd use the Filterset.G one (I've got that on my mom's PC, and no complaints there).

Disabling PithHelmet for specific sites seems to do the trick for me. Right click on an empty area of the page, and click "Never block content from www.fazyluckers.com". :wink:
    Pith Helmet was the worst (for me) as far as a performance hit. bit that was a year ago when i last tried it out. a palpable lag with each page load disappeared when i disabled it. ;) it took less time to load the damn ads than it did to block them. I'll take another look at it.

Safari AdBlock is the one that can't be disabled for specific sites.

thanks flak.

i'm downloading the Firefox flavour known as "Minefield". it's reputed to help with the scrolling problem. i'll back up my current Ff profile, just in case i hate it.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the tip on Safari ADBlock, I'll definitely have to install that soon. There's got to be a workaround, somehow.

I've been using PithHelmet for so long, that if there's a performance hit, I wouldn't know...hehe.

Hey, now that you've got broadband, maybe any small amount of lag wouldn't be as noticeable now.

Also, slightly off topic, but...check out OpenDNS. Been using it myself almost since it came out, and I just installed it for Vera...she definitely saw a speed increase on her end.
    :) am there with you already.

good point on the speed thing. i wouldn't call what i have "broadband". the fastest speed i've seen was 102 KB/s, but hey.. anything over 17.6 and i feel like i'm flying. all day today, my speed has been about 22-23 KB/s. it's still acceptable. the hamster likely needed a day off.
    Firefox 3 optimized builds for G5 / Intel

http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2008/06/18/firefox3
    yeah, ^ that's the one.

Minefieldnot only worsened the scrolling jitter, it totally destablized my system.

i've had beachballs, freezes, and other arcane weirdness. once i tossed it and resumed using Firefox (vanilla ;) ), everything is back to status quo.
    How to enable kerning in Firefox 3.
    With Firefox 3 you can use the css property text-rendering to enable or disable kerning. text-rendering takes following 4 possible values.

* auto - default value of text-rendering. Gecko will try to guess which one of the following option to use probably based on some kind of global setting.
    * optimizeSpeed - will disable font kerning.
    * optimizeLegibility - this option enables kerning & ligatures.
    * geometricPrecision - this option also enables kerning.
  • edited June 2008
    chicken said...
    websnap said...meh, to each his own
    Exactly
    Exactly
    Exactly
    Exactly
    :)
    I don't know what happened, it just double quoted yet when I went back to edit it there was only one quote. I'm going to have to blame you for that since it was your post that was cursed...
    LOL
    Daring Fireball linked today to an article on Firefox 3's text-rendering options.

Kerning and OpenType features in Firefox 3

i know nothing, and still found it interesting.

AND... the new dotmac requirements page is up. We recommend the following browsers.
    For the best experience with .Mac Mail, we recommend:

they say "Firefox 1.5 and later". i am using Gecko/2008061004 Firefox/3.0, and am getting "not supported" javascript sign at the bottom of my browser. i clicky, and nada.

anyone else care to try? i'd be interested if it's me and a setting i've enabled, or they're jerking my leg.
    Firefox 3.5 is out. What the hell is wrong with these people? They redesign the tabs in the Advanced pane, and it still looks terrible. Utterly, utterly terrible.

Firefox 3.0:

Firefox 3.5:

UI widgets on Google.com still don't have proper spacing, either. :awkward:
    .... I probably didn't pay attention much to FF2 but I don't notice a difference, I still get to the sites I want to and my brain is happy about that. I don't want to smash my monitor for things that aren't its fault.
    so, no grapple for FF 3.5 yet, and it's fucking with my mind a bit :D

currently using Vfox3(Graphite) 0.8.2 (it has tabs up top, ooOooo), but it's not quite what i was hoping for - any suggestions?

i realise there aren't many compatible themes yet
    mick said...AND... the new dotmac requirements page is up. We recommend the following browsers.
    For the best experience with .Mac Mail, we recommend:

they say "Firefox 1.5 and later". i am using Gecko/2008061004 Firefox/3.0, and am getting "not supported" javascript sign at the bottom of my browser. i clicky, and nada.

anyone else care to try? i'd be interested if it's me and a setting i've enabled, or they're jerking my leg.
    I just tried with FF3 and worked perfectly, I think it looks like your settings over there...

(damn, just noticed the date of your post... probably a bit late with it :D )
    flak said...

Firefox 3.5:

flak, what font are you using for your OS? It's just that the font in your Ff 3.5 tabs looks a bit weird. Here's a screenshot of my Ff 3.5 tabs:

Ff 3.5
    Strange. That would look great, actually.

I didn't change my OS font, but I've got text smoothing disabled for size 4 and smaller (in System Prefs --> Appearance). Anything else I can check?