my keyboard's going to get a yeast infection

edited June 2008 in advice
:(

i threw... yes threw

about a liter of Astroglide™ on my keyboard. i've got most of it cleaned off, but...

am i in trouble when it dries?

i know that 'glide is a good substitute for the grease Apple puts on the wires attached to the space bar, etc.

i've borrowed my sis's laptop for the moment; right now i don't want to use my keyboard, in case i distribute the residue more.

Comments

• edited 10:49PM
    as long as it was switched off when you did that you'll be ok, or as long as you unplugged it asap. You might want to strip it and clean it up a bit! Let it dry out, if the weather's a bit cold but the hairdryer to it...

Now mick please explain the throwing incident in more detail!
    What machine is this on? You're almost positively going to want to get a new keyboard, but you're going to want to take other steps if it's a laptop.

Astroglide? Okayyy, anyway. The residue on that isn't going to be great.
    Biff said...
    Astroglide? Okayyy, anyway.
    Lol, not sure what you were doing with Astroglide near a computer... ahem TOO MUCH INFO :D
    I agree with Biff - pick up a new keyboard! and keep ALL fluids away from the Mac at all times.
    meska said...
    Biff said...
    Astroglide? Okayyy, anyway.
    Lol, not sure what you were doing with Astroglide near a computer... ahem TOO MUCH INFO :D
    well, if you don't know then you're not on the internet much are you... :D
    :( i unplugged immediately, and started rinsing it immediately. final 2 rinses with distilled water. it's drying in the attic crawl space now. (HOT and dry up there.)

damn.. yeah, i figured i was hosed (not with water). the stuff's water-soluble, but there was a LOT, and it got down under the membrane.

and.. yep, i knew there'd be speculation about the Astroglide™, but if i'd said "a lubricant", you'd have thought i was talking about 3in1 oil, or something.

this wasn't a sex situation, btw. (i hope that's not too much information). a friend's dad works for the company, and :) :) :) it's excellent for a roister of wrestling. that was the plan. unfortunately, i had some on my hand when S and i started some "pre-combat" negotiations for the grease.

ding dang damn
  • edited June 2008
    If your water isn't too saturated with minerals, give it a spin in the dishwasher (no soap!), let it dry for four days or so.
    :) i don't even know anyone who has a dishwasher.

the water is horrible. more minerals than a block of concrete. that's why i have distilled water (and used it).

let it dry in progress. i'll try disassemble and clean if it isn't ok. :D re-assemble will be a trick.

thank you

x
    mick is it a usb keyboard or adb?

(might be worth looking at ebay for a cheap replacement)
    yeah.. the possibility that i'll need to replace it is on my mind. :) i can't use this loaner for long.

USB .. only a couple of years old.

ebay Canada is a joke. there's the scams, and the big sellers, and nothing is cheap.

i appreciate your thinking on't.
    i have no idea what astroglide is but that was the best post ever

when i read
    "am i in trouble when it dries"

i started laughing like a crazy man, i am still laughing
    \
    ahhh good stuff
    tell the keyboard i wish it well
    i do realize this was not meant to be funny, but i laughed ~ i cant help it
    orson, orson, orson.... you have led a very sheltered life, haven't you? :p
    mick said...orson, orson, orson.... you have led a very sheltered life, haven't you? :p
    shhhhhhhh-dont tell anyone
    so I had to go check what astroglide really was and I agree with orson :)

this thread is hilarious!!!
    i'm still in "rue".

funny will be considered after i see if it still works after being lubed to the point of flooding.

:p
    keyboard's a wide flat paperweight. the lube dried under the membrane.

oh.. btw? :) i won.

x
    give it some credit mick, your keyboard's not just a wide flat paperweight, ...... it now comes with a great story.
    mick said...keyboard's a wide flat paperweight. the lube dried under the membrane.

oh.. btw? :) i won.
    even with my dial up connection, I request video proof.
    Was chatting about this with Vera, and she asked a good question. If a dishwasher, minus soap, could clean out a keyboard - what would some hot water in the sink do?

Even if you heated up some of the distilled water (boil it?), and soaked the keyboard in it, any chance of recovery?
    It's possible- the dishwasher has a blasting effect, but as cheap as USB keyboards are, it's often not worth the effort.

When apple ADB keyboards were $100+, it was worth a shot.
  • edited June 2008
    I compiled a couple of links for you guys. both disassembly instructions and cleaning tips for apple keyboards– good luck

old black keyboard
    new white one
    old black keyboard
    new white one

no mention of astroglide in any of the guides though... I wonder :tongue:
    veryfunnybones said...give it some credit mick, your keyboard's not just a wide flat paperweight, ...... it now comes with a great story. even with my dial up connection, I request video proof.
    :D and.. :p (your imagination got away with you, vfb. think "less sexy, more fierce with grunting and cussing". )

flak, it is a good question. how hot do dishwashers get? i flooded it immediately in the shower, and the water was (eventually) hot.

what i have is a membrane that is welded to the body of the board. i'm soaking it again, but i think it's going to rip if i try to pry it off.

Biff's right that keyboards are fairly cheap. :) trouble is, so am i. *nod*

rbernato, how very kind of you! :) i've been disassembling computers and peripherals since i was 15 (reassembly is always the trick). the first thing i do when i get a new electronic tool is find a take-apart manual. The wire hinges under some of the keys are lubed with a very fine grease on assembly. this grease is not readily available. Astroglide™ is a good substitute.

anyone taken apart one of the new Alu keyboards? i live with cats and a woodstove, and am used to popping the keys off and cleaning thoroughly about once a month.

i can't tell if this is better or worse as far as cleaning.

alu key lifted colour shifted to enhance hinge viewing.
    mick next time lay some protective covering! those hinges come off and can be put back in, just make sure you don't snap them.
    oh and i would, too. :D

the alu keyboard is pretty sexy.
  • edited June 2008
    The aluminum keyboard is awesome. I paid way too much for a Macally Icekey a while back (it's got keys like my PowerBook), and when I got an aluminum keyboard with this iMac, I originally stuck with the Icekey anyway.

It took a few days to get used to, but I really prefer the aluminum keyboard now. It's just so awkward to use anything else.

Edit: I haven't taken it apart, but the keys are so low profile that you shouldn't need to. Not much can actually get inside the keyboard, really.

Great idea on the shower, I hadn't thought of that. How do you guys live without dishwashers? (Vera doesn't have one, either) Please tell me that you own a microwave. :happy:
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited June 2008
    flak said...The aluminum keyboard is awesome. I paid way too much for a Macally Icekey a while back (it's got keys like my PowerBook), and when I got an aluminum keyboard with this iMac, I originally stuck with the Icekey anyway.

It took a few days to get used to, but I really prefer the aluminum keyboard now. It's just so awkward to use anything else.

Edit: I haven't taken it apart, but the keys are so low profile that you shouldn't need to. Not much can actually get inside the keyboard, really.

Great idea on the shower, I hadn't thought of that. How do you guys live without dishwashers? (Vera doesn't have one, either) Please tell me that you own a microwave. :happy:
    Vera doesn't have a microwave either!!:happy:
    I know, that's why I asked! hehehehe
    i've had a microwave. they're pretty much useless unless you have a half cup of coffee that's not quite warm enough. :)

i sold mine. i don't miss it, and i hope no one ever gives me another one; i'll have to sell that one, too.

they ARE useful for half-cooking vegetables for a huge stir-fry, but .. so is a steamer basket.

i had a MacAlly mouse; it was the crappiest piece of lightweight fluff i'd ever pushed across a mousepad. I guess i'm soured on all their products from that experience. good to know you had a keyboard from them that you liked.

my membrane ripped . it wasn't good for me. :surprised:

x
    Oh yeah, the only Macally products I've actually liked were that Icekey keyboard, and the Playstation-like gamepad I bought for playing Connectix Virtual Game Station games. ;)

Did the membrane come off without damage to the keyboard?

If it weren't for the microwave, I'd probably starve to death. Well, that and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. :tongue:
    no, the membrane ripped.

i thought of another use for a microwave. :) it's good at de-staleing bread.

do try peanut butter and dill pickles; even people who don't normally like dill pickles often really like the combo.
    Maaaybe...it certainly sounds unique. ;)

Yeah, and defrosting bread, too. Also, I learned how to make hot dogs in the microwave last week. :happy:

It's great, and you don't even have to do any dishes after most microwave meals (I hate doing dishes, I really do). Paper towels usually do the trick.

What membrane are we talking about? The astroglide membrane on top of the keyboard's circuitry?
    yep

the 'glide-welded oversoaked membrane. how can something be waterlogged AND crusty, i ask you?

i was gentle, too.

i'm giving it up for a lesson learned. (never taunt S with a jug of Astroglide, for starters).

i'll strip it down for parts.
    microwaves are (possibly) the most efficient way of cooking things. dishwashers, i can live without.

(ok, i can live without both, but i was just sayin')
    microwaves "cook" by exciting water molecules. (whee!) it heats water better than it bakes bread.

i feel that they cook unevenly, but then i differentiate between heating and cooking. :) it might be a predjudice; maybe just a pref.

as an aside, i got asked about the title to this thread. Astroglide™ can be associated with an increased incidence of yeast infection. Bottom line is, if you get it on ;) anything, wash that anything, after.
    I threw out around 5 broken keyboards the other week, couldn't think of a use for them.
    None of them had accidents involving astro glide.
    i keep thinking i'll assemble a working input device for some nefarious scheme out of all the bits and pieces.

how do your keyboards break, then? *imagination runs wild* :)
    Cum
    or tea, coffee, cat sick, etc
    80% of them other peoples tea, coffee, cat sick
    pfft... ;) i was envisioning a keyboard sailing across the room.

cat sick? that's special.
    yeah, cat sat on my keyboard and threw up, it's dead now.
    rip to the both of 'em.
    mick said...microwaves "cook" by exciting water molecules. (whee!)
    Haha, that made me laugh. :D
    base said...yeah, cat sat on my keyboard and threw up, it's dead now.
    cats are hairball machines
  • edited June 2008
    I had to google astroglide to confirm my suspicions

btw Astrofun!
    zomg, i'd totally forgotten about "penis reading"! :) it's got to be at least as accurate as palm reading, don't you think? (as in: NOT)

jake, you know me... i have been wrestling for years. it's not a sex thing at all. it's about striving and effort and heh.. physics. learning to grapple when you can't get a grip gives you the chance to use momentum, inertia, and flexiblity. it's been too cold this spring/now summer; the mud pit is like cave slime.

new keyboard's on order.

x

ps.. aaand.. my cats don't get hairballs! they're shorthaired and i brush them. the only time i've ever had a cat puke is when they've swallowed a long piece of yummy sweet grass without chewing it well enough. eager things.
  • edited June 2008
    I thought that cats ate grass specifically to make themselves sick, something to do with the lack of digits for the two finger approach.

Edit, yeah
    Why do cats eat grass?
    Cats don’t eat grass as a source of nutrients. For them eating grass has a purely mechanical function. Ingested blades of grass trigger regurgitation of indigestible or hard to digest matter, like the cats’ own hair swallowed during grooming, or fur and bones of prey. Expelling this matter through regurgitation, similar to birds of prey, is safer than allowing it to pass through the digestive tract where it could possibly cause a blockage.
    http://www.felinefuture.com/health/catseatgrass.php
    anyway, back to wrestling and lube
    :)

you know, i've read that too, about cats and making themselves puke, but i've never seen it.

my cats eat greens. they like the tiny short sweet new grass. they like the brand new little leaves on the raspberry bushes. they like to nibble the catnip plants. they don't eat the long coarse grass. if they do eat a longer piece of delicious juicy sweet grass, they chew chew chew it and get all the flavour. i grow pots of indoor grass for them in the winter, so they can snack on the new sprouts.

i've had cats since i was a very young woman. the only time i've seen a cat puke because of long grass, it was because they didn't chew it well enough, and some was caught in their throat. i have had to take a cat to the vet because a piece of long grass was stuck in their throat and it had worked its way back and up into its nasal passages. that is an expensive vet visit, btw. it involves anesthetizing the poor creature.

i can't speak to what happens with other cats, i can only point to what happens here.

aaaaaaaaaannd. *repeat sigh* ok

i'd have not said what was spilled on the keyboard, except that it was pertinent. the stuff's supposedly water-soluble, but there was a lot of it, and i suspected it was going to be a problem.

so

yeahhhhh baybeeeee... think bored women who have too much energy. think nearly naked. think all that skin greased and shiny. think throaty noises. think flailing glistening limbs. think rolling around slipping and slithering and laughing.

just like at the beach with bikinis and sunscreen and going for the same ball in a beachside footie game.

was it good for you?

heh :)