font tomfoolery

pjpj
edited June 2008 in advice
i got a new mac powerbook & i have been having a hard time with moving my fonts over from my ibook. suitcase fusion keeps telling me that a majority of the fonts are unrepairable, altho they all seemed to work swimmingly on my last comp & font book reads them just fine. is suitcase fusion a bag of crazy & not wanting to read my fonts or is there something else i should be using to control my font collection? i liked being able to turn on/off groups & individual fonts when i'm using photoshop, is that something i can do in font book? not really familiar at all with that app. thanks for any info peeps! :smile:

Comments

• edited 1:49PM
    don't know if this really answers your questions, but there's been a lot of talk here about font explorer x...

the thread, in case you missed it
    ^ font explorer is great / free :)

hai peej!
  • pjpj
    edited 1:49PM
    thanks bull & chris :)

haiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii chris!:happy:
    hmmm.

knowing you, there are a bajillion fonts to move, too.

Suitcase (Fusion) is a good tool for some people. Extensis doesn't exactly make it easy to switch font managers. The unique caching system it uses SEEMS to use a different criteria for exporting that it does for displaying.

the Extensis site has a reasonably good support page, i'm sure you know. in general, the pdf on Fonts: Best Practices in OSX> is helpful for organizing and id'ing possible trouble spots.

i've read .. in trying to help someone else, that any Classic fonts can create problems, as can "partial" fonts (aka: missing the printer font).

i've also read that before you do anything with moving "Suitcase'd " fonts, you should run Font Doctor first.

i've also read that people who delete their Suitcase cache have found, to their dismay, that that IS the fonts. do make sure you've got them all backed up.

be patient, a font guru will automagically appear at some point.

BTW, OS X's Font app is decent for general use, but it's not really robust enough for a cowgirl to ride. :D

x

ps.. haiiiiiiii !