Crash during startup/garbled screen

QQ
edited June 2008 in advice
I think the old G4 finally passed away..
I wanted to start up this morning (I d/c everything after a big thunderstorm last night) and during startup I get the apple logo and the spinning icon (so far so good).
After that, the desktop (what should be the desktop) shows up with one blue part on top (1/4 of the screen) and everything underneath is just a million colored pixel mess.
Yet, i can move my mouse across the garbled screen but nothing to click on of course.

I thought it was the monitor, so i connected the Mac on my LCD TV and got the same garbled screen result after booting.
I still wanted to use the G4 as a backup machine but i guess the video card went totally dead.

Or am I missing something here? (Didnt had much time to play with it this morning since I had to go to work)

Comments

• edited 6:59AM
    Sounds like the video, but it can be narrowed down further. :)

Try booting from an OS X install disc and see if the problem still happens. If the problem goes away, it's the OS installation.

Also, if you've got any important data on the G4, boot it into FireWire Target Disk Mode and connect it to a working computer, to make sure your data is still there.
  • QQ
    edited 6:59AM
    thanks Flak

Lightning strikes are never healthy for a computer but i think that was just a coincidence.
    I'll play with it tonight :)