new headphones required

ihcihc
edited February 2007 in conversations
i need to buy some new headphones for use while walking along and to cut out the drone of work colleagues when at my desk

i have had most recently a pair of Sony MDR-V500

they were ok sound and i prefer buckets to in-ear. if anything the earpieces on these were not quite big enough. also the smallest setting was still a little too big for my liking. (i generally have a big head so goodness only knows who their target market were)

i got them at the time as im a big fan of swivel heads and foldable storage.

any suggestions? i dont want to spend megabucks

Comments

• edited February 2007
    I got the Audio-technica PRO5 Stereo Headphones (selling for £35.25 on Amazon) for htd at Christmas, replacing the Sony DJ pair around the £50 price - think it's the same model as the one you listed. The plastic mold for the Sony set broke at the hinge around the ear and can not be fixed despite the headphones being in perfect working order (albeit unwearable now). Incredibly irritating, I have to say and I was certainly not going to purchase another pair and risk another construction problem. Most importantly, htd prefers the sound quality of the Audio-technica pair and they are far more comfortable to wear for long periods compared to the Sony.

So, a better pair for less.
  • edited 1:56AM
    some reviews here...

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Closed-back-Dynamic-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000CMLZFK

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-PRO5_Monitor_Headphones.html
    Actually, you might to disregard all of the above since these are not technically full buckets - they are more on than off, but more off than the Sony's (they are kind of oval shaped).
  • ihcihc
    edited 1:56AM
    franco:…The plastic mold for the Sony set broke at the hinge around the ear and can not be fixed despite the headphones being in perfect working order (albeit unwearable now). Incredibly irritating, I have to say and I was certainly not going to purchase another pair and risk another construction problem. …
    ditto and ditto
    ha! I had a sneaking suspicion that this would not be an isolated incident. grrr at Sony.
    Ihc, have a look for some Sennhauser buds or headphones. I don't have a link handy, but i too will be purchasing new headphones shortly, i'll pass you some linkage when find some goodies.
    i have the PX200 which don't seem to be here » sennheiser. but i guess sit somewhere in that travel range.

They are quite good. Not the greatest but good for the train and a decent price as well.
  • ihcihc
    edited 1:56AM
    the PX200 images ive found seem to show small earpieces

i like big cans - otherwise earrings can be a bitch after a while
    yeah i guess they aint big.

but you don't look like a big dork.
    I've got some Sennheiser HD497's...had em for about 4 years now, no problems, very comfortable, excellent sound quality...crank up the volume and you become one with the music ;)

I think i got them for 45quid from superfi...good place to go as you can test out a load of different models before you buy them...i tested the HD600's :D

If not sennheiser, grado's are pretty sweet...again excellent sound quality, and they have a retro look to them...
  • edited February 2007
    i am currently using some cheapo philips sbc hp460s - i advise you not to buy these - i actually stole this set, and i'm still disappointed :)

ps. they aren't the "hang off your ears" type in gaudy colours. there seems to be two different models sporting the same model number - very handy ;)
  • edited February 2007
    I have a set of Shure's E-500 PTH earbuds. They are really great and the set (fittings, case, PTH unit and so on) is really high quality. I just saw that they have launched a new line of "E" earbuds where you can decide if you want the PTH-unit or not.

The E-500s aren't that pretty, but i don't care. Especially when i consider the sound quality they offer. They are really really balanced sounding and don't exhibit the unnatural mega-bass that some headphones seem to be designed to deliver.

Link to Shure

If I were to buy some new cans to replace my Koss Sportapro or Portapros (both are foldable, nice-fitting and sound good), i'd look at Grado's new iGrado for on the move, or for "domestic use", their SR 60. They are really good, sound-quality wise, according to the tests i've read.

I've found that Headfi is a nice place for reviews and opinions, if you're into that kind of thing..
    Head-fi.org's section on headphones
    I've had my Sony MDR-Z700's for the last 6 years and love them still... And they take a beating everyday.