South Wales - RE Chris look at this thread

edited May 2008 in conversations
Hello Chris.

I'm turning 30 in a few weeks and as someone who pretty much hates birthdays and tends to hide away rather than celebrating I thought it'd be nice to spend the weekend away somewhere with my GF. Only problem is my work is irregular at best at the moment so I don't have much money. Originally I wanted to stay in the Llŷn_Peninsula somewhere but apparently its mega Welsh there (as in most ppl speak it as a first language) and I don't have much, if any, money.

However my brothers girlfriends grandma has a house in South Wales (Bargoed in the Rhymney Valley) that I can stay in for free (her Gma went into a nursing home a few years ago and the house is currently on the market but they want ppl in it from time to time for security).

Anyway what I'd like to know is:
a) is it a shithole? I get the impression its not the nicest of towns (from the Wiki on Bargoed): Philosopher Steven Monkthrift once lived in Bargoed and famously declared "Bargoed town is a danger place. Criminals are rife".) but it seems to have some nice areas near it so thats fine as I'll most likely have a car so I can get out to these places
b) what is there to do round that way/near by? I'm probably going to avoid the cities (Cardiff, Newport and Swansea are all a medium to short drive away) unless you think there is anything really worth seeing there (the only reason I plan to avoid them is I live in a city and spend most of my weekends away in London so I'm looking forward to being somewhere a little less busy).
c) have you ever been? from what I understand you live somewhere in South Wales (just checked, you live in Swansea which is a little further out) so may or may not know the area (I figure you've probably done a fair bit of touring about on your motorbike)
d) Whats the nearest nice beach? I'm not looking to go swimming or anything (I reckon it'd be a bit cold tbh) I just like beaches. Do they have them along the Severn or do I have to go out to the Pembrokeshire coast?

Stuff I know so far:
* its about 20 miles from the Brecon Beacons
* The Cefn Coed Viaduct isn't too far away and looks pretty cool
* There are a couple of Castles nearby (Ruperra and Caerphilly)

Feel free to suggest modern attractions/things though. Are there any good museums or galleries in the area?

I've been to Wales a couple of times before (once to Anglesea for a family holiday) and once on a School trip to an outdoor pursuits centre (no idea where abouts it was though). So I'd like to see a bit more as an outdoor pursuits centre in the woods and a couple of weeks on an island are hardly representative of the country.

Cheers

BTW anyone else from Wales or that has been/knows about the place feel free to offer suggestions.

Comments

• edited 3:46PM
    Chris isn't really from Wales y'know
    nicko said...Chris isn't really from Wales y'know
    Really? But he lives there right?
    No. Fiji
    You're not supposed to tell any1 that, nicko
    a) yeah, i reckon :)

b) like you say, you aren't very far from the beacons, castles and stuff.

c) i have been, but it's one of those places you tend to not really stop at :D

d) you have a couple of choices - head to the gower, or head to west wales. both offer some really fucking amazing beaches / views / stuff ever.

e) pop in, have a cuppa :) i live between swansea and brecon.
    f) 100% druid here, don't listen to nicko.
    g) i recently turned 30, and i also hate birthdays!
    you have a bike, right? is it a mountain bike or road bike? there are world class trails around here, too, if that floats your boat / breaks your bones :D
  • edited May 2008
    h) :awkward:
    I have multiple bikes, they're almost all road bikes though. I might bring a couple and tour round the country lanes a bit, depends what car I hire.

Cheers I might take you up on the cuppa offer.

I only just found out I can have the house so gotta see if the gf can get time off work and shit first.
    let me know how it goes - there's probably a load of things that would be of interest to you, but i'd have to actually think to come up with specifics :)
    if the weather is good, most places are pretty awesome
    I am turning 30 this year, I hate birthdays, I'm also from south wales.
    chris said...g) head to the gower
    thats all the info you need :)
    agreed Gower looks rad. I might try and go for a week, was gonna go for a long weekend but that seems a bit short.
    My 37th birthday will be eclipsed by mothers' day anyway, but I do live in New South Wales. Reminiscent of South Wales, apparently, but I'll bet we have better beaches. No castles, sorry.
    chris said...g) i recently turned 30, and i also hate birthdays!
    base said...I am turning 30 this year, I hate birthdays, I'm also from south wales.
    fucking-hell is this the 30's only board!

Me, I'm Thirty today. Off to the Gower in August. Love the place you won't be disappointed, Pretty much most of Wales is nice.

So, who's up for a "I'm 30, let's go to wales" road trip?
    lol im 30 in june, jeezuz. Dont know if i can make it to Wales for the 30's convention though. :)
    I'll have a belated 30th !!

I was very ill on my 30th so didnt do anything !
    thirty-shmirty :awkward:
    How old are you then? c'mon, spill the beans !
    Im gonna feel so old...... :tongue:
  • edited May 2008
    26 squap
    I's a feelin old in here now !
    nicko said...26 squap
    lol :D
    26 with 2 very hard paper rounds, maybe ;)
    30 go mad in wales.

I'm also June btw. 10th to be exact.
    chris said...26 with 2 very hard paper rounds, maybe ;)
    37 in June :awkward:
    Holy shirt! that's next month!
    thats more like it ;)

(I didnt wan to say anything !!!!)
    June the what? Are you a Gemini?
    Gemini's unite! mines the 19th. Another bit of useless info I was a twin (not any more) my partners a gemini and one of my two boys is a gemini too.
    12 June, gemini yes
    I can go one better than that GffMac

A mate of mine has 3 brothers and a sister. All the boys were born on the same day (so thats 4 boys) but on different years!

Not gemini's though or anything to do with South Wales mind you.
  • oh man, what what?
  • i think that there should be a little inter-forum welsh coast meetup this summertime, yo.