What is DD-WRT?

edited February 2007 in conversations
What is DD-WRT?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

Comments

• edited 11:41PM
    Is this recommended for my WRT54GS then? Linksys havent done an update for about a year now.
    merc:Is this recommended for my WRT54GS then? Linksys havent done an update for about a year now.
    blueshead does not endorse hacking linksys routers, unless you live next door.. then it's ok to change the firmware and give the antenna a 50% boost..
    right fuckit then, if it aint broke....

Someone does keep knocking the wireless network off though but I never realise cos I am ethernetted in - then my neighbour comes and complain the internet is broken - at which point I blame Richard Branson. I change channels and reboot to get round it.

I can see another 4 or 5 networks on Kismac, but dont have the foggiest how to use it and turn their routers off - they are all WEP and apparently that is easy to crack, if you know how I guess...
    DD-WRT is awesome. Just be very careful when flashing the firmware, you could end up bricking your router. Follow the instructions to-the-letter.

Also, if you find your internet slows down considerably, search for "p2p settings" on the DD-WRT forums. The default IP Filter settings need to be adjusted.

Otherwise, I love the control the firmware gives you. There's a billion different settings, and while you probably won't use most of them, there's a few really good ones (like static DHCP addresses).