Any ideas about this....

edited April 2008 in advice
My mac mini intel 1.6 just gave up!
On start up it always ends in kernal panic, I've reset the pram, tried the original restore cd, used disk utility and cannot repair or veryfy, do to a problem with the node structure. I tried reinstalling Lepoard to archive and install, but that fails also. Now it says I can only do a clean install. I tried restoring from the time machine back up and that also failed to solve the problem. I have some critical files on this comp, so want to be careful. Anybody know if I do the clean install ( which may not work also) and then restore everything from the back up drive, and will it return me to as it was before the crash?
The only new install was about 3 days earlier when I installed Sofa control 2.5, otherwise no additions of harware or software in months.

Comments

• edited 11:04PM
    Hey mate, can you get the Mini into Target Firewire mode (T on startup)? If you can, then plug into another mac using firewire cable, and retrieve the stuff that way.
    Have you tried safe mode? Otherwise, I'd go for the target firewire mode.
    forgot about the T start, will look up safe mode, and try that to. My laptop even seems to be having a few too may kenal panics now.....bugger
    What are you doing to them! :D
  • edited April 2008
    Tried safe mode with no result, just the apple logo and the spinny thing for 15 minutes. Then tried target disk mode, and the drive appears empty. Most likely when I tried restore from back up. My only hope is to re install Lepoard and try to restore again from the back up drive....wish me luck!
    I ended up doing a clean install and then using time machine went back and everything is back to normal. WOW, Time machine back up really works!!! I'm impressed. But I still wonder why it all went wrong? one happy bunny here!!!
    You should use Disk Warrior or some other utility to repair your disk, you mentioneed about problems with node structure, which points at HD... Which you could not repair or verify with Disk Utility.
    I'm with DMC here. If you did a clean install without wiping the drive first, from the error message your citing from Disk Ut, I'd be concerned that you may still have some underlying disk directory problem . . . if you did check the various options for reformatting in the installer then you should be fine . . .
    I am not convinced that all is well - I think the drive has failed or is in the process.