MOTO GP 2008

edited March 2008 in conversations
The 2008 Moto GP season, which roars into action this weekend, promises to be one of the best ever. The key story will be the attempts of five-time champion Valentino Rossi to wrest the title from rising star Casey Stoner, last year's surprise winner. But with the graduation of World Superbike champion James Toseland there is major British interest, too.

first race is at qater, and it's the first ever moto gp night race. that's right, NIGHT RACE.

[hide]this video may disappear once the motogp tightwads find out i re-uploaded it to allow for embedding :D[/hide]

Comments

• edited April 2008

Australian Casey Stoner was in ominously good form as made a winning start to the defence of his MotoGP crown under floodlights in Qatar.

- BBC Sport

casey stonerThe Ducati rider was never seriously challenged after taking the lead on lap eight and cruised home ahead of Spanish duo Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa.

Valentino Rossi finished back in fifth place, one ahead of British debutant James Toseland.

It was Toseland's first race after his move from World Superbikes last year.

Toseland finished just 0.7 seconds behind Rossi and admitted he had been "amazed" by his own performance.

"I gave it my best shot. For my first race to be just behind Valentino on the same bike is amazing," he said.

"When the new engine comes we can be more competitive.

"I'm still learning. I made a couple of hard moves but that was a lack of experience at this level on my part.

"I passed Jorge hard and we touched but fortunately he was OK and went on to finish second."

Pedrosa was the race leader in the early stages before Stoner, who started fourth on the grid, managed to impose himself.

The style of his victory was reminiscent of his dominance last season, but the Ducati rider told BBC Sport his work had been cut out securing the win.

"It's been a hard weekend for us," said Stoner.

"We didn't start well at all. I felt it would be a hard race - I didn't have a lot of grip at the rear and people were bashing fairings and knocking each other out of the road.

"I was surprised to be up going into the eighth or ninth lap.

"I managed to get in front where I felt comfortable and then do some reasonable lap times."
  • edited 5:30AM

Pedrosa cruises to Jerez victory

- BBC Sport

casey stonerHonda rider Dani Pedrosa took the championship lead after powering to victory in front of his home crowd at the Spanish MotoGP in Jerez.

Pedrosa, last year's championship runner-up, took the race lead early from second on the grid and finished ahead of Valentino Rossi.

Britain's James Toseland was pushed back into sixth on the final bend.

Jorge Lorenzo came third, as defending champion Casey Stoner finished 11th after twice running in to the gravel.

Pedrosa passed pole sitter Lorenzo on the first corner and was never seriously challenged in the rest of the race.

Pedrosa's first MotoGP win at Jerez comes less than three months after he broke his hand in a training crash.

"I'm very happy about the performance because it comes after a difficult winter during which we couldn't test so much," he said.

"To score good results in two complicated races and lead the championship is very important.

"I got a good start - not spectacular like in Qatar but effective - so I was able to take the lead."

Stoner was trying make up ground from the start, having begun the day seventh on the grid.

But his chances of a decent finish took a knock on lap three when he ended up in the gravel and was relegated to the back of the field.

By the end, he had battled his way through to 11th place but another misjudgement as he tried to pass Shinya Nakano and Chris Vermeuelen saw him end up in the gravel again.

Toseland's performance was all the more impressive as he was suffering from a chest infection, but afterwards he said he was pleased with his day's work.

"I've had easier races, I'm not too good but I want to thank the mobile clinic for pumping everything into me," he told BBC Sport.

"It's so frustrating as the bike's been working so well in pre-season - I was hoping for fifth place, better than in Qatar, but to equal that is great."

Lorenzo claims maiden Moto GP win

- BBC Sport

casey stonerJorge Lorenzo clinched his first Moto GP win with an assured ride in the Portuguese Grand Prix.

The Spaniard, who has been in pole position for all three Grands Prix this season, held off the challenge of compatriot Dani Pedrosa in Estoril.

Lorenzo's Yahama team-mate Valentino Rossi claimed the final podium spot, with Colin Edwards taking fourth place.

Britain's James Toseland finished behind defending champion Casey Stoner in seventh position.

Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Rossi had started in the front three places on the grid, with Rossi, who is on the longest winless streak of his career, fastest out of the blocks.

But just before the midway point of the race, the reigning 250cc world champion stole past Rossi and once in the lead, he was never seriously threatened, eventually coming home 1.817 seconds ahead of second-placed Pedrosa.

"I don't believe it, I can't say anything more because today is happiest day of my life," said a clearly emotional Lorenzo after the race.

Speaking of the moment when he passed Rossi to take the lead, he said "I saw it was the moment to pass him and to push hard and try to go away - it happened to perfection."

Stoner's sixth place finish was all the more creditable considering that early in the race he dropped back to 11th.

Afterwards, he revealed the problem had been a loose on-board television camera.

"I didn't know what it was and I was very afraid that the box was coming off and it was something important," he told autosport.com.

"So I was trying to put it back in, and it would get in-between the steering and sometimes lock the clutch or lock the steering."

Spots of rain added an element of confusion to the race, with Andrea Dovizioso and Nicky Hayden both possibly falling foul of it as they crashed out from promising positions for no obvious reason.

This helped push James Toseland up to seventh place, and after sixth placed finishes in his opening two races, he said paid the price for a lack of aggression on an unfamiliar circuit.

"I had rain spots on the visor and it was just a lack of experience, I didn't know how much you could push in those conditions," he said.

"I wasn't aggressive enough on the first few laps and I lost some distance on the leaders, but to qualify on the second row and be fifth on the championship now, I believe, it's encouraging.

"It was a bit frustrating that I wasn't further forward but I look forward to going to tracks that I do know and take advantage of the new package we've got."

british super bike round at thruxton on the weekend, watch out for the "motorbike in the face" part, ouch :D
    ouch indeed

I've driven around the track at Thruxton - it worths
    my boss had tickets to go this weekend, then didn't. i wish he'd have said (and given me the tickets that he wasn't going to use).
    I remember overtaking a lambo on the "straight" in a Formula Renault... I had to slow down straight after on account of my eyeballs were shaking in their sockets :happy:

Rossi storms to victory in China

- BBC Sport

casey stonerValentino Rossi produced a faultless performance to clinch victory in the China MotoGP ahead of Dani Pedrosa.

The pair were dominant on a damp track and fought a fascinating battle throughout, but Rossi outpaced the Spaniard over the last few laps.

The win was the Italian Yamaha rider's first in eight races and announces his, and his team's, return to form.

World champion Casey Stoner was third, while Jorge Lorenzo, hampered by injury, came a stunning fourth.

Rossi's team-mate Lorenzo dug deep and rode bravely following his huge crash in practice on Friday which left him with a chipped left ankle bone.

Pedrosa's second place gave him the outright lead in the championship - seven points ahead of compatriot Lorenzo.

Pole-sitter Colin Edwards finished seventh after initially fighting for the lead with Rossi and Pedrosa but running wide and then losing pace as the race wore on.

His Tech 3 Yamaha team-mate, and Britain's sole MotoGP representative, James Toseland could only manage 12th.

Marco Melandri had his best result since joining Ducati, finishing in fifth place ahead of 2006 world champion Nicky Hayden.

The only person to retire from the race was Chris Vermeulen, who had clutch problems with his Rizla Suzuki.

Rossi's victory was his 62nd in the premier racing class and he celebrated by immediately pulling off the track, kissing his bike and then sitting on the barrier near the pits.

"I'm very, very happy. It's been a long time without victory," said Rossi, who last won in Portugal last season.

"I felt confident with my bike from the first lap. The start was not so bad and after I went in front I kept my rhythm. It was a great battle with Dani."

Rossi has struggled this season following his switch to tyre makers Bridgestone, but he seemed to have no issues in Shanghai.

Early heavy rains drenched the circuit but despite the threatening skies, the race was held in nearly dry conditions.

And Rossi added: "My rhythm was fantastic to the end, and I was able to ride the bike like I wanted, so it was a great victory."

Pedrosa admitted that Rossi had a little too much pace for him, and the Spaniard revealed he decided to settle for second.

"It was a hard race," he said. "At the end I just slowed down cause I saw that I could not get him."

Struggling defending world champion Stoner was not happy with his third place, and was even less happy with his choice of tyres.

"We were advised to go with a softer compound rear tyre, which basically after three laps just wasn't enough," said the Australian.

"I think we had reasonable race pace, and I think we would have been a lot faster. I don't think I would have been battling with them, but I think we would have been more relaxed in the race.

"I'm a little disappointed with today, we still have a lot more work to do. Hopefully in the next races we can improve this position."

Rossi secures victory in France

- BBC Sport

casey stonerYamaha's Valentino Rossi followed his win in China with victory at the French MotoGP to move to the top of the world championship standings.

The seven-time world champion never looked back after overtaking Casey Stoner on lap eight, becoming the first rider to win two races this season.

Jorge Lorenzo did superbly to finish in second place ahead of Colin Edwards, despite having two fractured ankles.

James Toseland crashed out on lap three after colliding with Andrea Dovizioso.

Rossi controlled the race perfectly to move to the top of the championship standings on 97 points, three clear of Dani Pedrosa and Lorenzo, who are tied in second place.

He then celebrated by doing a lap of honour with the legendary Angel Nieto, whose mark of 90 career victories Rossi had equalled.

Nieto had special leathers made up for the occasion - the pair lie second to Giacomo Agostini in the all-time rankings.

"It's a long time since I won two races in a row, it means we are back in business and back on pace," Rossi told BBC Sport.

"It has been a difficult period for the team but now we are so strong.

"We are now at the top of the championship so we must stay concentrated and have more wins like this.

"I had quite a lot of pressure because Angel was waiting with the special leathers to join me on the bike, so I really needed to win."

Lorenzo rode through the pain barrier after fracturing his ankles during free practice for the Chinese Grand Prix two weeks ago and suffering another crash in practice at Le Mans.

The 21-year-old Spaniard said: "I'm going to smile because we must celebrate this and not pay attention to the pain.

"All my body is in pain but I'm so happy.

"It was a difficult and very aggressive race but I was determined to stay on the bike."
  • edited May 2008
    "Jorge Lorenzo did superbly to finish in second place ahead of Colin Edwards, despite having two fractured ankles."

honest to god, wtf? lol
  • edited June 2008

Impeccable Rossi wins at Mugello

- BBC Sport

casey stonerValentino Rossi claimed his third win in as many races at the Italian MotoGP to extend his lead in the world championship standings.

Rossi beat Casey Stoner and Dani Pedrosa to secure his seventh consecutive victory at Mugello, to the delight of the home fans.

Championship rival Jorge Lorenzo had a day to forget, crashing out midway through the race but escaping injury.

James Toseland finished sixth on his debut at the Mugello circuit.

Yamaha rider Rossi started from pole but was soon passed by Pedrosa, only for Stoner to take the lead at the end of the first lap.

Rossi bided his time before pouncing on the third lap, with a beautiful overtake on the inside at the downhill Casanova corner.

Once Rossi was out in front, he was never threatened and the main question was who would finish second out of defending champion Stoner and Pedrosa.

"What a weekend," said Rossi. "Here in Mugello it's always a great emotion, especially on the podium with all the crowd.

"But it's a difficult weekend, very long. The work is not just on the track.

"I'm lucky because I have a lot of fans and I always try to give more here. This track is good for my riding style and the Yamaha.

"The last 10 laps were very difficult. It was very hot. I wanted to slow down but Casey had different ideas.

"I have very strong rivals so it is important for me to be at the top."

Toseland was also happy with his day's work.

"I couldn't have done any more," he said.

"I was really close to Shinya Nakano in the first corner and that picked me up and I lost quite a few places.

"I kept my calm because I knew it was a long race and I didn't want to make the same mistake I did at Le Mans, where I crashed.

"I just had to settle down and I didn't do anything stupid."

Rossi has won every Grand Prix of the MotoGP era at Mugello at the circuit, and with team-mate Lorenzo failing to finish, he is now 12 points clear of second-placed Pedrosa in the championship standings, as he aims for a sixth elite class world title.

Rossi's victory completed an Italian hat-trick with Marco Simoncelli having won the 250cc race and Simone Corsi coming home first in the 125cc race.
    rossi's new helmet design for the mugello motogp
    not a hugely exciting race, but nice to see rossi reap some rewards after the last couple of off seasons he's had.

that thing in the photo? that's his new helmet design... very weird to see a bike hurtling down the straight at 200mph with a big loony face staring at you from it.

Pedrosa powers to Catalunya win

- BBC Sport

casey stonerHome favourite Dani Pedrosa dominated from the start to claim a comfortable victory in the Catalunya MotoGP.

Pedrosa passed pole-sitter Casey Stoner on the first corner and built up an impressive lead which was almost eight seconds at one stage.

With Pedrosa out on his own, Stoner and Valentino Rossi had a fierce battle for second place as Rossi fought his way up from ninth on the grid.

With two laps left he found a way past Stoner and held on for second spot.

Britain's James Toseland, who started sixth on the grid, held off a late challenge from Chris Vermeulen to come sixth, matching his best finish so far.

Pedrosa started from second spot and took full advantage of a great start, breaking the two-year old lap record on the second lap.

His second win of the season was never really in doubt, so the main drama of the afternoon was the battle for runner-up spot between reigning world champion Stoner and Rossi, who had started from his worst qualifying position of the season.

He quickly moved up through the field, and by lap nine was up to second place after a breathtaking move to quickly get past Andrea Dovizioso and Stoner.

But the Australian refused to give in without a fight, and by lap 16 he had passed Rossi, but the Italian, wearing specially customised leathers in the style of the Italy football kit, regained second with two laps to go, and held on.

Pedrosa's win cuts Rossi's championship lead down to seven points, but having hauled his way up from such a poor starting place, Rossi was more than happy with his finish.

"I enjoyed it a lot, more than winning the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello, because I love a battle and this year we haven't had any," he told BBC Sport.

Toseland was also pleased with his day's work, and the prospect of returning to the familiar surroundings of Donington for the next race.

"I can't wait to get up to Donington, it's hard work on these new tracks," he said.

"To qualify sixth and finish sixth is a good show but I really want to get close to the front.

"I'm going to be pushing so hard, I really want that podium place."
    chris said...Toseland was also pleased with his day's work, and the prospect of returning to the familiar surroundings of Donington for the next race.

"I can't wait to get up to Donington, it's hard work on these new tracks," he said.

"To qualify sixth and finish sixth is a good show but I really want to get close to the front.

"I'm going to be pushing so hard, I really want that podium place."
    two weeks time.
    You going?
    nah - i'd prefer to get to a later / warmer one, somewhere like valencia, and make a holiday out of it :)

donny is just too far away to "pop up" and not really far away enough (warm) to make it worthwhile using up a wife-token to go watch it ;)
    lol @ wife-token !

Yeah, it'd be nice to do Valencia. I prefer the F1 but I do like to watch the moto gp so going on a moto gp holiday would awesome
    There's also a F1 race in Valencia this year ;)
    Of course I'd go see that first ;)

Not enough cash and not enough holidays left though :(

Rossi claims maiden US MotoGP win

- BBC Sport

casey stonerValentino Rossi ended Casey Stoner's four-race winning streak to earn his first win at the Laguna Seca track after a thrilling US MotoGP.

In the last race before the summer break, the pair fought a fierce battle for the lead until Stoner was forced into the gravel with eight laps to go.

But they were so far ahead that he returned to the race still in second, ahead of third-placed Chris Vermeulen.

Rossi now leads nearest rival Stoner by 25 points in the championship table.

The Italian's Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo is thought to have broken a bone in his foot after coming off in spectacular fashion early in the race.

The battle for the lead between Rossi and Stoner was the closest and most exciting there has been this season, but afterwards Stoner was clearly not entirely happy with the way it had been fought.

"I completely made the mistake, it was all my own (going off the track)", he told BBC Sport.

"But at the beginning of the race, with some of those overtaking moves, I was so nearly on the floor that it wasn't funny.

"I know it's hard racing, I've been in hard racing all my life, but some of that was past the point. I don't think it was necessary."

But Rossi was adamant he had done nothing wrong.

"This is racing, every overtake was very clear for me - I never touched him," he said.

"The reality is I am stronger in braking, so I try to use this advantage. I deserved it, I think he made the mistake alone - it happens."

Rossi now goes into the summer break with an entire race-worth of points advantage on Stoner, who is second in the championship standings, and Dani Pedrosa's failure to compete this weekend has all but ended his slim title hopes.

"It was a great weekend," said Rossi.

"These 25 points are like gold for our championship."

Briton James Toseland finished ninth, having been in seventh for much of the race, but he said he was glad to have improved on his recent poor run of form.

"I tried to keep those guys behind but I'd pretty much shot the rear tyre by the end," he told BBC Sport.

"The team's working well but we've had some problems behind the scenes which need to change for the next race.

"I've been riding round, nor racing round, and I don't like that. To be in the top 10 is nice but the potential is there to be a lot better."

The next round of the MotoGP championship is at Brno in the Czech Republic on 17 August.
    fucking cracker, it were, too!

i think stoner must have missed the part were rossi ran into gravel, and then back onto the track, pushing stoner out wide. i reckon he thought it was just a nasty block move from rossi. the overtaking was great, from both of them. it was pretty hardcore.

Stoner crash gifts Rossi victory

- BBC Sport

casey stonerValentino Rossi was gifted victory in the Czech MotoGP after Casey Stoner crashed when he was comfortably ahead.

Rossi extended his championship lead over Stoner to 50 points with the win.

Reigning world champion Stoner was one second clear of Rossi when, under no particular pressure, he skidded into the gravel on lap six.

His Ducati was too badly damaged for him to continue and Rossi went on to win, ahead of Toni Elias in second and Loris Capirossi in third.

Afterwards, Stoner told BBC Sport he was not quite sure what had happened.

"You know as much as I do," he said. "The bike was moving round quite a bit but that one just caught me out. No excuses, no nothing - it just caught me out."

He also hinted at having almost given up hope of defending his world title after having lost out to Rossi for the second race in a row.

"It was a long shot for the season - we gave too many points away and we needed to win these races. We did the best we could, but it's on to the next one.

"We're going to keep fighting race by race. The championship is very difficult but five or six races ago we were way out of it, so we've just got to keep plugging away race by race."

Rossi said he thought Stoner might have been trying too hard to make up for the ground he lost in the title race, when Rossi triumphed in their epic duel at Laguna Seca.

"I am sorry for him that he crashed but sometimes you make mistakes, especially when you have to recover points in the championship," he said.

"I have a 50-point lead, but there are six races to the end. Now we have a great setting and understand the tyres better."
  • edited September 2008

The win was Rossi's 68th in MotoGP and extended his championship lead

- BBC Sport

valentino rossiValentino Rossi's title hopes increased after he won the San Marino MotoGP and rival Casey Stoner failed to finish for the second successive race.

Australian Stoner, who started on pole despite fracturing his hand on Friday, misjudged a corner, lost control and crashed out on lap six in Misano.

That left Italian Rossi in the lead and the Yamaha rider roared home to extend his championship lead to 75 points.

Rossi's victory equalled fellow Italian Giacomo Agostini's record of 68 wins.

Britain's James Toseland had a good race and came home in sixth place after a thrilling battle with Loris Capirossi and Chris Vermeulen.

Rossi's team-mate Jorge Lorenzo clinched second and the final place on the podium went to Toni Elias.

But the story of the race was undoubtedly Stoner's crash, which virtually ends his hopes of retaining his title with still five races to go, and Rossi's astonishing record-equalling feat.

Pole-sitter Stoner got a storming start and quickly set about putting distance between himself and the rest.

Rossi slipped to third after being overtaken by Pedrosa, but regained his position on the second lap and set his sights on preventing Stoner from getting away.

He need not have worried as Stoner lost control of his front end only four laps later, snapping his handlebar in the crash, and his race was over.

It left a clear path for Rossi and he never look liked failing to make the most of his good fortune.

He told BBC Sport: "I have now won three races in a row - it is incredible. It was another great battle with Stoner - we know that Stoner is very fast.

"We have a great advantage and we are one race closer to the title. Last year, in these three races, I took nine points, this year 75.

"To win my 68th race in my hometown is incredible. I saw Giacomo Agostini before the race, and he was laughing. So I said to him I would try to win today."

Toseland climbed from ninth to sixth by lap eight and when he passed Andrea Dovizioso to move into fifth he was on target for his best finish in MotoGP.

The Tech 3 Yamaha rider could not keep Vermeulen at bay, though, and the Australian swept past with six laps remaining.

Toseland told BBC Sport: "I am enjoying the challenge. It is great to be back in the top six. Fifth would have been amazing, but we can push on from here."

Earlier, Spaniard Alvaro Bautista won the 250cc race from 11th on the grid while Gabor Talmacsi took the honours in the 125cc event, holding off young Briton Bradley Smith to win by five seconds.

Rossi seals Indianapolis triumph

- BBC Sport

casey stonerValentino Rossi took another huge step towards the MotoGP world title as he made it four wins in a row at the rain-curtailed Indianpolis MotoGP.

Rossi extended his lead over defending champion Casey Stoner to 87 points after finishing ahead of Nicky Hayden.

The race, the first two-wheel championship race at the circuit in 99 years, was cut eight laps short because of heavy rain and strong wind.

Stoner finished fourth, behind Rossi's Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo.

Rossi passed Hayden on lap 14 and opened up a lead of 5.972 seconds before the riders were red-flagged into the pits.

Intially there was some confusion as it seemed there may be a chance the riders would be called out to complete the race, but eventually it was confirmed that the race was over and the result would stand.

The win was Rossi's seventh of the season, and also earned him the record of 69 top-class Grand Prix wins outright, having previously been level on 68 with Giacomo Agostini.

Ross backed the decision to stop the race, saying conditions at Indianapolis were the worst he had experienced in his career.

"The wind was not constant and very strong," he said. "You never knew what was going to happen in the straight.

"Every lap I hoped for the red flag. It was too dangerous."

Hayden, who won the championship in 2006, was delighted to have secured his first podium finish of the season.

"I had nothing to lose," said the Honda rider.

"I just had to go for it. The bike felt pretty good in the wet. I pushed to the max and left nothing on the table."
  • edited September 2008
    also, nice fookin racing, nicky! let's hope you have a better season with ducati next year :)