Creative director or ?

edited February 2008 in advice
I've got this problem again … yawn, I guess.

I tried to leave the place that I've worked for 7 years. I set myself up mentally to leave got my folio/resume in order, that took a lot of effort.

Anyway I have a 2nd interview next tuesday with an agency doing web based direct marketing. The place looks not bad, doing decent work and the money is quite good. I'll know more about the culture/hours etc after the 2nd interview.

My boss here cottoned on … I'm dead subtle I am. (He's been going through the motions of refocusing his business on less production work and more high level conceptual work. He's been taking his time and when i decided it was time to leave it was mainly out of boredom and frustration with waiting for him to actually change.) He's offered me the creative director position and a boatload of cash to stay, including some equity.

I think i could get a bit more money from the other position so that's not really a factor. My issue is that things may never change where I am. This will be my 3rd attempt to leave and if i don't get out now will I ever? On the other hand what I am being offered is basically a partnership where I have a chance to shape the direction the company takes. We've never had this structure before so it's a bit of a first and new. We are on the hunt for account managers as well, in another first.

So do I go to a new place and spend 2 or 3 years working up to a director position or do I take the director position now?

I will be setting a deadline for change if i do decide to stay, 12 months or so. Also if this interview on tuesday goes well and it's an awesome place that will make it hard because I think I might go.

who the hell knows?

I don't.

All I really want to do is support my family while managing to see them as well.

Comments

• edited 10:26PM
    I don't know...I will probably be in a similar bind soon, though. Funny how a baby crystallises things. I guess after that length of time you know whether your current boss has got the potential to change eventually, or whether he's just pulling out all the stops and trying to get you to stay because he wouldn't know what to do without you. Does he know you've tried to leave before? If you can't picture things being really different with you occupying a new role, I think you should go. I know we're different people, but I get the feeling you're doing what I would do to some extent: forgetting that you're the one with the power to choose the option that's best for you and your family and trying to accommodate this boss you've become accustomed to.

Of course I'm probably quite wrong in thinking that...I just mean nobody will think there's anything wrong with you getting ahead in this situation; it's not as if you've issued an ultimatum out of greed or anything. You've got a baby. Anything that results in more money, more time, greater job satisfaction or any combination of those three is worth doing immediately.:smile:
    Big choices Jesse.

I'd say if your current boss sounds committed to progress, and is willing to prove it - either through some sort of investment in you, further training (you will need it), allowing you the flexibility and budget to shape the creative vision of the company (in writing), then TAKE IT...but stipulate you'll stay if only he is 100% committed to development and change. You have a family, you are settled, and it's a good base to develop into the CD role without too much stress.

Starting a new job is also exciting, and you can feel reinvigorated both creatively and within yourself. It's more of an effort to once again prove yourself to your new workmates, and to really challenge your creativity and motivation. But to get to the stage where you're almost at now, will require a lot more effort, time and investment in your new job, something you already have done.

I took a step down from my job when we had our first child, so i could be around more for my wife and baby. It was a great time, and when i had to, i got back into the grind out of necessity (for money) and a need for new creative challenges. There's no need to rush, jobs for creatives are plentiful - there's always a need for bright individuals, enjoy the time you have with your family.
    Fuck i'm tired, i hope that made sense.
  • edited February 2008
    yeah, that sounded good -- it's better coming from someone with some actual experience! heh. But I still think that if your title is all that changes you should leave now, not in a year's time when you'll be feeling too entrenched to take the plunge.

*edit* I forgot...I think that the place you work needs to have growth potential; treading water is all very well when you're a self-effacing single (or in a relationship without kids) who doesn't want for much, but your child is not going to start getting cheaper to run any time soon. I've been thinking about this recently, as my current position is fine for mondo circa 2006...but far from adequate for the new (improved?) mondo of 2008, who comes complete with three kids and a mortgage. Somebody would literally have to die here before anything about my role would change, and it still wouldn't alter much even then. So really I should piss off without further ado.
    You both make good points. My main apprehension is that it won't change here. But having said that I'm seeing evidences of change, more than ever before.

He knew I was looking around once before, the other time I offered to leave when I went to europe for three months.

I think getting something in writing is vital. I don't know about training, I'm pretty awesome.
    Don't know how mercenary you want to get, but mrs mondo's brother-in-law made no secret of his interest in another position at a rival company...a 15% payrise (plus promise of another when his child is born in a month or so) and company car later, he decided he was quite happy where he was. I couldn't get away with that here, but if your current boss needs you enough it may be entertaining to see how many rabbits he'll pull out of his hat...
  • edited February 2008
    It all sounds like good advice.

Both Meska and Mondo have a point. But as Meska says, "if the boss sounds commited to progress and can prove it", I'd be tempted to go with it. Even if it is only a title change. It will give you foundation of experience at that level and enable you to approach a Creative Director position at other companies/agencies.

Good look
    Just leave. It'll be a change and your life will move on. You will need to kind-of start from the beginning, but that's great fun. New tasks, new people, new thoughts.
    start up your own business, offer consulting to both your current employer, and the one you are at interview stage with.
    I agree with chris now actually. I did just that.
    i think i can sympathise with you Jesse..

Our company has been coasting along for a few years doing the same ol thing.. i've been yapping about tightening up deadlines etc, no-one seemed to listen, till i was given the authority to really get on people's backs.
    Now, the bosses are realising what i've been saying is true - we'd been too complacent, and they're seeing a positive change in things i've brought in.

if you choose to stay - go for it, be your own boss and show your boss thru example where he's been time wasting. At least if you're being offered equity etc it'll be worth your while.
    not often a person has a chance to "turn around" a well-known business, and craft a new way to approach the work AND the creativity. take over the business? why not, if it advances your personal goals. might it be that you know your "boss" too well, and want to work with someone else? i can't imagine being in a better position to choose your next workmate.

also, would your new office have a door and a view?

when i'm in a quandary, jesse, i often lay it all out precisely and ask someone else to Make The Decision. then i check deep inside myself to see how i feel about it. :) then i do what i want.

i've a belief in your ability to work hard and keep creating as well.

i think it comes down to the time needed to make either option work. the one thing that can't be juggled is the time spent with family. :D start teaching Cooper now. she's going to have to pitch in and start making brochures about age 7. i'm only partially joking.

x
    mondo.. i'd not thought it through before, but i should have realized what an amazing path your life took in the recent past. from single, to a wife, 3 kids, and a mortgage in the proverbial fell swoop. you must be giddy. as in.. giddyup. joking aside, that's got to be alternately heady and overwhelming. :)
    run as fast as you can. unless he throws soooo much money at you that you trip and fall over it. :D
    ditto nimmot
    work on the assumption taht if your current guy is serious he will match whatever offer you have from the other place.

don't pull out of the other interview and take as long as it takes before having to sign on the line or not at the new place and even then you aren't 'theirs' until you sit behind a desk. heck you could work there 3 months if your current boss allowed you the space.

you could sell it to him as part of the consideration of the very generous offer. he's in the process of change not looking to start the revolution in the next few weeks. you could point out that at the worst you'll have additional insider information into a competitors business.

i figure there would be someway to leave take new job and not burn any bridges. effectively he'd be headhunting you for the position he's now offered rather than just elevating from within.

personally though, i wouldn't be brave enough to do any of the above (hypocrisy alert) and would bit his hand off. make him match any other offer - after all someone else has confirmed your 'ture' value and join the revolution.
    And another question.

A job in the UK? I've accidently got a bite from carelessly spraying my resume around.

What are my salary expectations? I was thinking about 30K pounds?
    Where's the job based?
    What is the job title?
    no you cant have it.

in the south / worlds best web designer
    30K seems a bit light then

PS: I don't want it :happy:
    i changed it to 35 but it's not in London
    OK. I'd probably say that seems about right. You're a bit vague about how "heavyweight" the role is.

I'm not sharking for your job. Just trying to be helpful :smile:
    More on this …

I took the other job (in melbourne, the one the first post was about) and as of april 21st start my first new job in seven years.

Thanks for all your advice.

(I'm still waiting to hear back on some other leads but i've let them go for now.)
    Nice one! I think it's good to be around family when you've got a young child (well, I guess I shouldn't assume that they're mostly around Melbourne)...the novelty should keep you going for quite a while, I hope. Now I should go out and do pretty much exactly the same thing, except without being the world's best designer. :smile:
    mondo - you can be the worlds best bits of the body modeller if you like

jess - congrats
    w00t - congrats on making the change.

we are in year of the rat, a good year for new endeavors ;)
    good for you, jesse. out of your old rut, and yes.. novelty. you must feel lighter inside, just NOT knowing what the next month will be like.

x