how to tell someone the "designer" they hired doesn't know wtf they are doing, politely??

edited February 2008 in advice
let's see if i can do the cliff's notes version:

woman opens cupcake bakery (the trend has just hit Denver)
hires my friend to do bookkeeping
my friend realizes woman has NO interior signage/menus/etc. calls me
I meet with woman on sunday - she needs help in a very bad way - no menus, crappy white pieces of paper for cupcake flavor identification, etc.
Had a website & logo done by a designer - and she got what she paid for.
Said she's having trouble getting the flyer and postcard files printed, etc.
I finally get files today - yep she has a web designer who doesn't know how to design for print and also didn't take some basic design theory - so no wonder she can't get these files her "designer" created printed: missing or too small of bleeds, text too close to trim area, etc. aside from the aesthetic issues and copy issues - subject verb agreement anyone?

I'm to meet with her on Friday. Her shop and her product are awesome, but she needs some good design help. How do I convey to her that I can do that and that she would benefit immensely by dropping this current lemon of a "designer" politely and effectively?

I really would like to acquire her as a freelance client, but need some guidance so I don't come off like a design snob. I know she didn't know any better about good design or someone who can do web and print, etc.

thanks gang.

Comments

• edited 7:11PM
    just preface your remarks with "No offence, but..." and you'll magically be able to lay mercilessly into your interlocutor.

Heh...sorry. I wish I had some practical advice, but it does seem to be a trend these days. I think it would be more accurate for most people to start out by stating "Offence: ..."
    :smile:
  • edited February 2008
    No seriously, Mondo is right, the "No offence...but.. " line is swinger. I think if you're professional and honest, people will give you their business. Also bring some of your good work to show what you are capable of.
    Bring her in a Hostess® Cupcake, and use that as a comparison equivalent to her cupcakes as you are to her current person.
    they ^ talk good. :D

also.. respect her enough to assume she can handle the truth? (and tell her, thereby increasing the odds that she can)
    You could approach it sideways by suggesting that she could have someone proofread the copy to ensure there were no spelling or grammatical mistakes (pointing out one or two yourself).

Then, once that's been introduced, perhaps suggest some "improvements" that you could help enhance her flyer and postcard.

The fact that your "enhancement" would completely change them would finally become apparent to her.
    be lucky you aren't in my industry - our code of conduct specifically forbids this action however appropriate it may be :/
    i think mondo and mesk have it - samples of your stuff and samples of the printshop you use are a great idea. she may have designer-friend issues that she has to deal with, but most owners i've met are more than capable of handling it - it is, after all, their business/livelihood being effected.

unless she's blind she'll know you're being as diplomatic and sincere as possible.