the great big architecture and urbanism thread

Comments

• edited 4:56AM
    the treehouses remind me of the Baba Yaga stories.

the Norwegian Defense Ministry looks just brutal. :) maybe that's the point. if so, well done.

that Svalbard Science Center is probably very attractive when surrounded by snow. I admire the thought in designing to protect from the elements.

that "M" house... the rubble wall has great colours; i like that part. :)

so.....this building, built in the Netherlands on an old wharf, at first glance i pointed a finger and rolled my eyes..."Bauhaus", i sneered. but, like many of my snap judgements about architecture, i should have looked before leaping to the conclusion.

click through to theh eikonographia page for more and larger pics. i <3 this effort.
    I saw a shipping container coffee shop on the internets somewhere. It was quite a neat idea :smile:
    Wood House design by Jonas Retamal in Chiloe, South Chile
    Wood House design by Jonas Retamal in Chiloe, South Chile
    - seriously, check out the other images of this place.

Karin Widnäs's studio
    designed by Finnish architect Tuomo Siitonen. The house is on a hill in Fiskars, overlooking the Degersjö lake. The massive beams are made from spruce that fell in storms...
    DVF Studio Headquarters / Work AC
    DVF Studio Headquarters / Work AC

Budget: US $28,000,000(?!?!?!)
    leaf chapel

The Leaf chapel sits within the grounds of the Risonare hotel resort in Kobuchizawa, a refreshingly green setting with beautiful views to the southern Japanese Alps, Yatsugatuke peaks and Mt.Fuji.

tate modern
    Transforming Tate Modern
    , aimed at establishing the full potential of the entire Tate Modern site and surrounding areas, has been developed by a design team led by architects Herzog & de Meuron.
    this is less than 100m from my office
    that's quite a big "extension"
    another diagonal disaster. ugh.
    heh
    i can't take this seriously at all

the saying "life is a rollerocoaster" gets a new meaning.
    also
    obligatory motion sicknes pills as a part of daily diet
    plus all the quarrles "i only get the shade! i'm never in the sun!"
    "if your life travels through time, you need a home which travels accordingly"

umm...yeah, deep.

imo it's bloody ugly, the only upside is the wind turbine. There isn't a new button in microstation "make building dynamic" is there? :p
    there is in rhino or digital prject

and those wind turbines so wont work
    :( it won't?

the building.. total whee factor 9/10. voice command had better have a "speed up!" mode.

total belief factor 0.5/10

can you imagine how much they got for drawing up the concepts? :D 10/10
    i figure they wont as they are in effectively recesses. the main flow of wind will buffet and eddy across the face of the building and work like one of those air curtains you get just inside shops - there aint no wind getting through to feed the turbines

M-Hall, Japan by Norihiko Dan
    i like the light 'seeping' out stuff :)
    oozing :smile:

Fudomae Apartment by ISSHO
    ZANY!

that's a major bit of wiring outside there, eh? :D
    Yeah, I bet the photographer thought he'd have an awesome job. Arrive on site: pwnt
    actually, the shadows cast by the pole, and the cables themselves solidify an already very geometrical and finite space. *cough*

there we go, no need to spend hours airbrushing it out of the photo now ;)
  • edited July 2008
    looks like catenary
    looks like Tyvek, actually.
    somehow, that ^ goes with this bit of urbanism:

one world, hell yes
    but not so much this one:

working as a team

i think of this as an example of compromise between the design team and the implementation team. *nod* :)
    ^ this should really go into the fail topic – :happy::happy::happy::tongue: !
    i used that image in a client pitch recently - fair use? ~nods
    shelter by architectural student Andres Miguel Lillo Coria
    Nice shelter by architectural student Andres Miguel Lillo Coria.
    Located in the Region of Maule's Andes Mountains, it is in pine and is assembled in a way to allow the visitor to view the beautiful landscape.
    looks like it would benefit from a higher standard of workmanship on the build, though
  • edited August 2008
    Not sure if this was posted or not...but its badass
    Kind of cool too, as my girlfriends parents have a house there~ i would love to visit and to see this...

Dubai is building this crazy ass big skyscraper
    LetsKillOrsonAndSayItWasAnAccident
    contextual just isn't the word darling
    not really sure if i know what the hell you are talking about but i think it is kind of cool looking(will be)
    That CNN article...Rising 141 floors with a mass of surrounding cranes and girders, it has no ... steel yet.
    @ urban: how does the light transmitting concrete perform? Will it meet Part E / BB93 etc etc? Is it load bearing or simply used as a finish?
    Thousands of optical glass fibres form a matrix and run parallel to each other between the two main surfaces of each block. The proportion of the fibres is very small (4%) compared to the total volume of the blocks. Moreover, these fibres mingle in the concrete because of their insignificant size, and they become a structural component as a kind of modest aggregate. Therefore, the surface of the blocks remains homogeneous concrete. In theory, a wall structure built from light-transmitting concrete can be several meters thick, because the fibres work without almost any loss in light up until 20 meters. Load-bearing structures can be also built of these blocks, since glass fibres do not have a negative effect on the well-known high compressive strength value of concrete. The blocks can be produced in various sizes and with embedded heat-isolation.
    i was wondering about building a matrix of glassfibres in a block mould, and positioning them so that the image is reversed on the other side of the wall. that would be cool.

or upside down, even.
  • edited August 2008
    Yeah I read that too, thing is that it looks like aircrete not dense aggregate.

Pity they're not in the UK, they would be an ideal sales target for us.
  • edited August 2008
    chris said...
    That CNN article...Rising 141 floors with a mass of surrounding cranes and girders, it has no ... steel yet.
    I did add (will be) to my original comment, still not sure about this 'contextual' ...they have been working on it for 5 years...and regardless if it is done or not
    i would still love to see it, as i have never seen any structure this high...darling!(?)

EDIT: the article i pulled was from 2007 i think they have progressed a bit...
    iwishiwasadesignersoicouldbecooltoo
  • edited August 2008
    eh

More

I guess this could live in the infographic thread too
    that is hott™
    maxx hottness™
  • edited August 2008
    wow. You like that then, chris?

(it is hott, i have to agree)
    i was a bit uncertain about the exterior, but it is a fantastic backdrop for the bright yellow logo sign :)