ferrari factory store
    ferrari factory store
  • edited 10:18PM
    cool! :D
    image" alt="" />
    Bridge building fascinates me. Where is that?
    wow i thought i'd posted that. heh.. damn preview.

it's at Hoover Dam in the US, nicko.

my daughter's involved with the materials testing (she interns at the dam).

watching the bridge slowly go up with very little fanfare has been interesting. they overcame a number of enormous challenges.
    ^LMFAO! :D
    needs more ceiling cat.

the caption is so restrained. ;)

concept for the new MOMA Tower.

MOMA concept

more at archiCentral
    Hotel V - WanchaiHotel V - Wanchai
    designed by studio OFF
    with an idea of roughness as a metaphor. The wall finished with a special mosaic expression tile – Tri-tonal Tile® to give different visual expressions in different weather conditions and viewing angles.
    That totally wouldn't look out of place in Malaysia
    Ha... Wanchai
    those tiles are pretty hot. i reckon they wouldn't look that bad in rainy sunny wales, either. they'd be twinkling!
    might get a bit 'indian restaurant' though...
    It was the colour that made me think of Malaysia. They're all over that colour, over there.
    the colour makes me think of the grape poppies in my garden.

grape poppies

grape poppies, white nicotiana, and snakes-head penstemon.
    When Patrick Blanc was a boy, he suspended plants from his bedroom wall and ran their roots into a fish tank. The greenery received nourishment from the diluted—ahem—fertilizer and purified the water in return. Forty-five years on, the French botanist's gardens have grown massive in scale. One inside a Portuguese shopping mall is larger than four tennis courts, and there's one in Kuwait that's almost as big. But Blanc's recently completed facade for the Athenaeum hotel in London (shown) could be his most high-profile project yet. Looming over Green Park, it's an eight-story antigravity forest composed of 12,000 plants.

Blanc uses a kind of techno-trellis as the underlying structure: A plastic-coated aluminum frame is fastened to the wall and covered with synthetic felt into which plant roots can burrow. A custom irrigation system keeps the felt moist with a fertilizer solution modeled after the rainwater that trickles through forest canopies.
    via: wired
    ^i'm using this stuff in response to the requests for graffiti proof surfaces - this was just about the only candidate ;)
    reminds me of the 2004 Europark building by Massimiliano Fuksas in Salzburg
    Toight
    urbansurgeon said...^i'm using this stuff in response to the requests for graffiti proof surfaces - this was just about the only candidate ;)
    sneaky :) i love the idea of felt mats for rooting on unusual surfaces. i'm going to try it out; there's some rocks i've been coating with a blended mixture of moss and buttermilk. success has been mixed, mostly on the smoother spots. this is worth a try.

a house made of doors:

Georgia USA

and a building facade that is all doors:

Seoul Korea
    check out Superuse
    :D just my speed! (doors galore, to boot)

lookie: (classy, yes?)

gutter lettuce
    mick said...gutter lettuce
    pretty for the photo - but you'll be watering that daily
    just like any other window box, hanging basket, or even a growbag then?
  • edited September 2009
    star light contrete blocks bricks
    Casa View, Kentucky Club de Campo, Rosario - Argentina
  • edited September 2009

that power station is a stunner. :)

i'd not mind living in this house in Portugal:

stone 1
    back

stone 2
    front (the bit with a door)

Eco-pods for stalled construction sites?

US practice Howeler & Yoon has proposed plans to fill a stalled construction block with a series of eco-pods capable of being moved by robotic arms in its home town of Boston.

A number of sites across the city have been put on hold because of the recession and city paper the Boston Globe asked architects to come up with new projects that would use the stalled half-built structures.

Howeler & Yoon’s idea is to fill the Filene development, a 32-storey mixed-used scheme in downtown Boston, with eco pods full of biofuel producing algae.

Micro-algae, which can be grown vertically and on non-arable land, is a biofuel crop and reduces carbon dioxide emissions.

Read more: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3149310&origin=BDdaily#ixzz0RvFXkQRB

holy fucking shit (and lol?)!
    that's an impressive use of homeless shelters. :)

i can see that in a Boston winter... there'll be rope ladders and bridges.
  • edited September 2009
    Most buildings that we design today for large earthquakes are designed such that when there is a large earthquake, the building, in a sense, sacrifices itself to save the occupants...
    priorities seem in order to me... :)

this is actually interestingly designed.
    as it sends glass scattering onto the escaping occupants below ;)
    House Bierings / Rocha Tombal Architecten

another angle, innit.
    alright til it stains from weathering
    i reckon it would just soften it slightly; could still be nice.

though, i think the main point about it in this current state is that it's pinstriped.
    no discernible drip details on the projection. wood tends to go green then black where there are drips - spoils it a bit
    there are a lot of houses built here from scrap. that's very evocative of the general look. i like the way wood streaks and greys as it weathers. i've a newly refloored deck. i used yellow cedar and am not going to treat it. it will turn a lovely grey. right now it's bright yellow and a painfully bright experience when the sun is shining on it.

worst of the piecework houses are what i call the "diagonal disasters" that's what you make when you don't have any long boards. :D

"urbanism" this is:

step well
    This step well is located opposite Harshat Mata Temple and is one of the deepest and largest step wells in India. It was built in 9th century and has 3500 narrow steps and 13 stories and is 100 feet deep. It is a fine example of the architectural excellence prevalent in the past.
    the deepest well in the world
    Loja Volume B - São Paulo
    roughly poured concrete, reminds me of many buildings from around the med. build it quick, and who cares about anything else :) i really quite like this, i think.

Loja Volume B - São Paulo, Gustavo Moreira and Leo Ferreira.