the great big interior design and accessories thread

Comments

• edited 5:37AM
    taht's hideous

Constant Garden Speakers: Make Your Desk Look Like Shrek Crop Field

A design team at Umea Design School created Constant Garden to act as a desktop speaker that gently plays gardeny sounds ("Oh— would you look at those weeds?!") and act as an audio secretary, prompting you about appointments. It's designed in rubber, and each of those Shrek-ear-like fronds holds a mini speaker that also lights up with LED magic. Apparently it's an attempt to "coordinate audio visual mechanics and integrate them more seamlessly into our daily lives," but, whatever— I reckon it'd look sweet on my desk, pouring out tunes as I work. Shame it's just a concept.

Providence created by Matthias Pliessnig is a bench entirely made of steam-bent White Oak. Matthias wanted to make a form which creates a physical conversation between the people using it and the form itself.
    Designed by D-Vision Bubblicious is a fruit bowl comprised of varying volumes of spheres. It allows you to place fruits of different sizes, in a way that enables to position the object in a new equilibrium each time, due to the change in the center of gravity.

from iloveby
    Fantastical!

Tetris shelves!
    it's beautiful.

:) a pita to clean, i bet... but if i had one, i'd also be able to afford a maid.
  • edited June 2008
    nicko said...
    Tetris shelves!
    cool - does the line clear if you fill it? :happy::tongue:
    chris said...torn lighting
    by a guy called billy may
    i suppose he may. or may not.

i didn't notice whether the site mentioned how to change bulbs - would that be from another rip? :) freeing up the end table space is nice, and the indirect side light sure beats overheads...

i'm thinking these lighting posts through because i haven't as yet made any progress finding lighting for my place that i really enjoy. it's a pain in the buttt.
    they are led, so shouldn't really need changing very often. also, the units aren't that big, so i guess taking them off the wall should be a doddle!
    ah. thank you mr sock :)

~still hunting lamps~
    what is it in the way of lighting that you're looking for, bull?

bright, soft, spot....?

i'm making some pretty cool ones right now out of "failed" pottery. thin porcelain bowls that are free because they have flaws. drill a hole in the bottom and wire it up. lovely light.
    over time it has become an 'i'll know it when i see it' situation. there's a lot of imho ugly lighting fixtures out there. these links have been helpful in eliminating possibilities.
    so, i'm thinking this likey won't do. it IS quite large. :)

horse lamp

but you can sit on it. dual purpose counts for something.
    if i were short on chairs and light, this would be just the thing.

i'm seriously considering a yard-sale collection of Bad Lamps, just for kicks, to see if there is a quantity of ugly light fixtures in a group that will make the point to the collection obvious.

like many of these

or maybe these
    i think that i am interested in lights. thing is, i've never really been able to find a light fitting that i like for longer than a year. this leads me to believe that it isn't actually lights that i like, it's light, falling on objects and planes around the source.
    i like spotlights shining up into trees in the garden, i like big light bouncing off walls in the house. i like strings of lights in certain circumstances, and i like pinhole up/downlighters in ceilings, skirting boards, stairs, floors and decking.

i recently saw some philips ambient lighting modules that would probably bore me to tears due to their looks in mere weeks, but they were multicoloured led things that you could set the colours on, or even vary over time automagically. amazon had them for £100 a pop, which is totally stupid money to pay for a light - i'm off to maplins :D
    chris said...i think that i am interested in lights. thing is, i've never really been able to find a light fitting that i like for longer than a year. this leads me to believe that it isn't actually lights that i like, it's light, falling on objects and planes around the source.
    i agree, and this is definitely a part of the issue for me. my first choice would be larger/more windows. it's not an option unfortunately. i'll end up having to make the fixtures and shades, not that bad a thing but adding another project to the do-list was not really what i had in mind. oh well :)
    just hide a big flood light behind an armchair, or something - the effect would be awesome (and you don't have to worry about what the floodlight looks like, as you'll never see it ;))
    lighting interests me, too, and i've seen plenty of lighting strategies that i admire, but would never even consider.

that's why i generally end up making my own. my solutions are usually short-term, as mostly i make lampshade/sconces out of paper or something similar. the loveliest sconces i ever made were from gluing 20lb test fishing line to an inflated balloon and then cutting the balloon shape to fit what i wanted. those sconces lasted 3 years. they were replaced by woven twigs in an open wall-basket.

the lamps i made for the gallery out of old fancy hats lined with aluminum kitchen bowls are fantastic, and i'd never for a minute want them in my house.

my problem these days is projecting towards no more incandescent bulbs. i DEEPLY dislike fluorescent lighting. LEDs are fun to experiment with, but it takes a lot of shiny to project their light very far.

in short.. of course you're going to have to make your own, bull. :)
    none of these took more than an hour. one took 7 minutes. ;) guess which one.

home made lamps.
    that washing machine one sprays a pretty nice pattern. but i'd soon get over the initial "cool light!" thing and feel a bit silly for having a washing machine drum hanging from the ceiling in my living room.

(A: Grater)
    :p snob? no one would know what it is, unless you tell them. ;) my recycled lamps and furniture pieces are usually sold before they're finished.

you know.... i've never in my life owned a piece of new furniture. maybe it's a culture thing, but it's actually something i'm a little proud of. (ok, yes, i do buy new foam when it's time to make a mattress.)

function first, pretty is good.

aaand... yousosmart, you right firstguess! win! ... :( but you don't want the prize.

</so very grinning...
    aha, are these ones that you have made, mick? why on earth haven't you posted them in here before?!
    it's very rare that a photo exists of some of my "makings", chris. and... it's not usually the kind of thing y'all seem interested in.

as i said, the stuff i make is usually sold before i finish. i just finished a room divider. made of three old heavy walnut doors that had busted-out panels. the frames were solid. i almost used stained glass but ; went with yellow cedar shaved so thin that light shows through. the deep brown of the walnut, and the creamy yellow of the panels is lovely. :) it's on a different island now.

x
    maybe i should send you a digital camera...
    heh.. not bloody likely. if you want an explanation of why there are no cameras in my life, i'll provide it privately; it's not pleasant, and falls in the category of "i really didn't want to know that". i have no problem with people being sneaky and snapping a photo when there's no one here..... as long as me or my sis aren't exposed to the damn tool. yep, it seems nonsensical, and .... so it goes. :)

thank you for the kind thought, chris. you're a sweetheart.

x

clickit ^
    lamp

all found items. the shade was an amazing discovery.
    that japanese lamp is ttly btfl!
    it is indeed. did you click through and look at some of his other stuff?

:)
    the hose radiator
    loads (i mean loads) of funky radiators shown here
    . i quite like this hose one, i had the idea myself, as i was scrolling down the long list. lo and behold, there it was, already made.
    the hose radiator... another outrageously wonderful idea NOT designed by the person who will have to clean it. :)

chair is kewl. bouncy!
    'paint or die but love me' ?

heeheehee

like the idea, looks funny, wouldn't own one.
    patio furniture.
    bull said......like the idea, looks funny, wouldn't own one.
    this could be said of many of the things in here hehe
    yep with you there. some really fun and interesting concepts, catalysts inspiring some fun thoughts...but i wouldn't want to clean them. ;)
    Is that light too bright for her eyes to handle?