two things I made about ten years ago that are still pretty good

edited January 2008 in creations

It was originally shot in 16mm on a little wind-up Bolex camera. I had an old VHS dub of it and finally got around to wrangling with assorted DVD recorders, rippers and compressors to get it up on YouTube...phew...almost as much hassle as making it in the first place. I still have the print sitting in my garage.

This was edited entirely in camera. It's 12 seconds shy of being the entire 100-foot roll, which goes for exactly 3 minutes. I had no idea that post-processing even existed, and if I had I wouldn't have known how to go about it. So to shoot the opening and closing credits I had to film those cut-out letters in front of my TV screen (with nice tracing-paper fades..!) and then crank the camera back so I could make a double exposure with the action. When a character fell over, it was time to change camera angles...heh. There's no way I could repeat this effort; goodness knows I tried, perhaps I'll post the sequel another time.

Animating focus through a magnifying glass turned out to be more difficult than expected, but luckily I managed to get out of the corners I painted myself into. I wanted to play with the attributes of various lenses in this film, because I was a wanky art student. I also wanted to make something that went with the music, because it took me a really long time to learn that piece and once I'd recorded it I realised that it was exactly the right length for a 100-foot roll.

Sometimes I miss the days when I collected strange objects with the intention of synthesising them into stories, but then I remember my knees and how much they protested after a few weeks of crawling around in a darkened room pushing a camera mounted on a dolly constructed from Lego. Plus, the single-frame switch on a Bolex is this little sliding spring-loaded knob that's quite resistant to pressure but then shoots rapidly back into place once you've made the exposure....just what you need when when you're trying...to...hold...the....camera...very....still.

:smile:

Now with workprint of the sequel, The Intermittent Transmitter :

(it's a bit dark and contrasty, owing to its having been telecined from the workprint instead of the negative)

Sorry, no audio in this version yet...I will replace it with a final copy as soon as I can find one.

Comments

• edited 1:18PM
    Wow, I like that a lot. Nothing wrong with it. The sound work is great and the animated moving camera with characters is difficult! There is no way to redo anything!

Good job man! Superb! Now get back to making these and stop the medical nonsense! :D
    nice nice mondo...more would be good :) thanks for going through the work to get it online :D

there wouldn't happen to be others hanging around somewhere, would there?

}b
    how big is it, mondo?

it sounds wonderful, and beyond my capabilities. i've bookmarked it. maybe i'll be somewhere i can watch it in the future.

cool you found it; from the description and accolades, i very much want to see it.

x
    I was going to place a caveat just for you...I know you're frustrated by large files. Umm...the version I uploaded was 44mb, but I'm sure it's much smaller now that YouTube's had its way with it. I will see if I can find out...

...OK, Miro says it's 6.5mb...come on, it'll only take a couple of days...! :smile:
    what is title of the music, mondo?

also, great film making!
    Very cool Mondo
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 1:18PM
    Oh MAN I love this, mondo!!!!!!!!!
    :happy:
    This is really great mondo. I really enjoyed watching
    chris, that's a piece by J.S. Bach...the Chaconne in D minor from the solo violin partitas; can't remember which number it is, but "Bach Chaconne" will usually turn up all the information you could want on that one. It's long and beautiful, and I could never play the whole thing, but that portion of it is the quieter D major section. It probably sounds best on the violin, but translates well to guitar...piano, too.
    converted to mp4 for itouch/ipod.. 7.5 megs

http://blueshead.spymac.com/none.mp4
    cheers mondo - i'll search for some tab to butcher soon :D
    great work mondo!
    totally worth watching it, and mind you that stop motion never ages!
    fantastic.
    I have an inkling of what this is like. I lacked the room though, had to rent a studio spot for a day and mine ended up being pretty short due to time. I also used one of those magnifying things. You did a waaaaay better job then I did in its movements. mine kept falling over. I didn't think to cut to a new angle though. I think it happened too often for that to be feasible though lol. I used a digi camera so I was able to load things into PS to line everything up.

I wouldn't even think of redoing this one though, a sequel sounds pretty darn good though!
    heh...yeah, I had never seen one of those glasses before, so when I came across it while assembling all the other odd crap in there I thought it was "meant to be". Then it turned out they were available at some two-dollar shop near college and everybody was having a go. Fortunately I pushed myself as hard as I could at the time to do something interesting with my materials and most others didn't have the stamina. For some reason the advent of digital cameras has turned me off making stop-motion; there's something about the mechanism of a clockwork camera that makes it all seem so right. You can see the mainspring of the first Bolex to die in the production of that film at the end where the little paper character meets his maker -- it's the bulky disc-shaped bit of metal on the ground. Cost more than the price of a new camera to get that replaced, so I thought "stuff you, you're going in the film."
    Excellent!
  • CPUCPU
    awesome work mondo!!!

such gems are ageless.
    Bloody Brill!

Add a car chase next time though :wink:

vortexual
    i was just at one of those dollar-type stores [there's a discount chain here called ocean state job lot] and they have the very magnifiers with 'gator clip arms.... it's great to have a new reference to attach to them...

i understand the rightness of the mechanical to stop motion, i think... there's some integrity between the mechanism and the movement in stop motion....

still love to see more though :)
    um, OK, there will be more soonish. I have to pace myself...heh. I can't locate a proper version of the next film, so I may have to put up the timecoded workprint for the moment. The audio for it was never finalised, although I did record the music and put it on there in some form. I have the negative and print at home, but no way to get it into digital form unless I can find a decent video copy. I made so many videos of it, too! They all went out to competitions and things; not that many returned.

I'm a bit sheepish about the sequel, but it's got some good bits. You will appreciate all the clockwork bits and the printer's trays and blocks, at least.
    heh you have a fanbase mr mondo...the price you pay for being good :) look forward to it

}b
    :)

*boomarked for (yay!!) future enjoyment*
  • Ve.Ve.
    by the by mondo...I sent it to my graphic designer bro-in-law in Austin. He loved it. Hope you don't mind. I always pass the good stuff around! :-D
    I have updated the first post. This is my only thread around these parts, goddammit, so I'm going to make it work for me.

There's a reasonable amount of explaining to do, as far as that second film is concerned. I got quite carried away with the properties of that old duaflex camera in the first film and it became a sort of clockwork television. The woman in the fetching latex dress invented/discovered this "intermittent transmitter" (so named because it was powered by the intermittent movement of an old clock; film projectors work in a similar fashion and I was originally hoping to base it on one of those. It was a bit hard to draw, though), and it proved to be a portal to a two-dimensional universe. Everything in that universe was supposed to be made out of paper...yeah, it was threatening to get way too complex for me and my knees.

All of the paper parts were photocopied on A4 sheets and suspended from the ceiling so that they would show up in the viewfinder of that old duaflex. Actually it's pretty hard to remember how I did a lot of the stuff in this film. I was happy with the way the lead typesetter's blocks showed up the right way around for the title. I will write a bit more at some point if anybody's interested...I guess the whole enterprise represents about eighteen months of serious thought on my part. :smile:
    thank you mondo. :)
    oh mondo :)

you were so good. still are, i know.

but those ... the time and care you took only show in the quality of the result. i've been looking forward to watching, and t'was as great as i knew it would be.

yeah.. thank you.. so very .. thank you.

wow
    :happy:
    OMG, how come i didn't even peruse this thread!? ~scratches head

Brilliant stuff Mondo, enjoyed that a lot.
    'cos you is too busy winning jobs and getting drunk :smile: