Moving to Seattle

edited January 2008 in advice
So ... as mentioned in the "first project of the new year" thread ... my wife Nancy and I are moving to Seattle ... hopefully in early spring ... sooner is OK to ... just need to sell the house (yikes).

Anyone out there with moving advice ... be it Seattle- or Pacific Northwest-specific ... or general moving ideas and resources ... your input would be most appreciated. :smile:

Comments

• edited 1:08AM
    i was in Seattle last February. My god... it was ultra-depressing. Made me want to slit my wrists. It was rainy, dreary, we almost got into a head-on crash (which wasn't our fault, other dude was on our side of the road), and it was full of hipster jailbait. Wifey & I were SO glad to get the hell out of there.

We vowed never to return to that forsaken city.

Sorry :happy:
    Fortunately for me ... I actually like gray, rainy days ... and hipster jailbait. :happy:
    hi lot! er.. GoCat. ;) it's great to have you back amongst.

wow.. unfortunate that Slater had such a negative experience in Seattle. it's a great place. it rains, sure, but the actual rainfall amounts are not that large.

traffic does suck.. majorly. Seattle and Vancouver have the same problems: need more roads, no place to put them.

Moving to Seattle? you'll love it.

don't buy a house until you've scoped things out. the market may be relaxing a bit, but it's still cutthroat for buyers.

advice 1: store most of your stuff and plan on renting. don't take your car, or find a place to park it and only use it occasionally. the public transit in Seattle is more than adequate. ride the transit around until you get a good feel for the neighbourhoods and districts. i've lived in the Queen Anne, Ballard, and University districts. they were all very wonderful places to live. i've also lived downtown. ... not so great.

advice 2: give a lot of weight to a good view. it is true that there are a lot of grey days. a great view can really make a difference.

advice 3: plan on the same thing if you move to Vancouver.

advice 4: i don't know if you've researched working in Canada, GoCat. it's very restricted and regulated for non-citizens. basically, there's a list of desired occupations, and if yours isn't on it, your potential employer has to tell the government that there is no canadian that can do the job they want to hire you for. you can't apply from inside the country, either. you have to apply from wherever you live. coming in on visitor status means you have to turn around and go home.

advice 5: i'm not sure you're aware that Apple Canada and Apple USA are two completely different companies. they do not share much except they both exist to sell product. Apple Canada wouldn't even allow "official" refurbs until about a year ago, etc. there' are 2 Apple Stores in Vancouver. one is downtown, the other one is out towards Coquitlam. neither are very big or very busy. Macintosh computers have a much smaller percentage here than in the US.

advice 6: the best way to move to Canada and go to work is to throw money at us. people who have 100,000$ to invest in a business that will hire canadians are welcomed with open arms. :) find out what it takes to get an Apple Store "franchise" on Vancouver Island. there are a few Apple-certified repair dealers around, but mostly there's nothing here for Mac users. i am now officially scheming to get an Apple Store opened here, staffed by a friendly guy i know online. :D

shall i shut up now?

heh

x
    Thanks for the tips mick.

Me mum is a Canadian citizen to this day ... and I have lots of family from Toronto to Victoria ... so I have some "ins." :wink: The thought of opening a Mac shop on the Island has been discussed ... one never knows.
    apple-approved repair is rare here. the closest one to me is in Victoria now. we had one in Comox; he went out of business.

heh..!! lot/GoCat. i wasted all that typo-ing preaching to the choir. go North young man, go North.

x
    According to my research, if you're moving to Seattle, you'll need a lot of flannel and Soundgarden CD's. Luckily, I can send you the Soundgarden.
    mick said...heh..!! lot/GoCat. i wasted all that typo-ing preaching to the choir. go North young man, go North.
    x
    That's OK mick ... your kind efforts were most appreciated ... but that's "old man."

And many thanks to you flak for the offer ... :smile:
    flak said...According to my research, if you're moving to Seattle, you'll need a lot of flannel and Soundgarden CD's. Luckily, I can send you the Soundgarden.
    steps on tall building. pulls out lee harvey oswalds rifle... takes aim at flak...
  • edited January 2008
    blueshead said...
    flak said...According to my research, if you're moving to Seattle, you'll need a lot of flannel and Soundgarden CD's. Luckily, I can send you the Soundgarden.
    steps on tall building. pulls out lee harvey oswalds rifle... takes aim at flak...
    Blues, I said Soundgarden, not the Dead Kennedys. :wink:
    GoCatGo said...And many thanks to you flak for the offer ... :smile:
    But of course... :happy:
    What's wrong with the Dead Kennedys?
    GearedUp said...What's wrong with the Dead Kennedys?
    Nothing at all...he mentioned Lee Harvey Oswald (JFK's assassin). Sorry, maybe that was kind of a stretch.
    aims rifle at soundgarden listeners.. plays dead kennedys on itouch.. :tongue:
    blues keeps leaving out the polka dot dress part. Perhaps it' assumed? :happy:
    seattle's weather sounds similar to here...
    also, with the amount of time that blues does actually spend on roofs, i'd be worried for your lives - law of averages states that it can't be long until he's up on one with a gun.
    so in conclusion ... blueshead = grayson perry with a gun?
    nailgun