G4 Powerbook is dead?

edited February 2007 in advice
So I was given this old 400mhz G4 by my ex-boss. She claimed at the time, it worked. So when I took it home, and gave it some power, it still would never turn on. The powercord would light up, but the battery would never store juice.

Oh speaking about the battery, this is what it looks like...

And a close up...

I'm guessing this thing is shot.

Comments

• edited 12:14AM
    That's propably it. It could also be that we need more photos because these are the coolest greatest best most awesome nice "I need tech help" -pohotos I have ever seen so far in my life altogether anywhere in the world this decade.
    Oh!

Well in that case, here is the other side of the battery...

Let me know if that helps?
    Okay, seriously, what the hell is up with that battery?

Does it boot with the battery out? I think you've got a DC board issue.
    It wont boot with or without the battery.
    Yea, the DC board and/or PMU (regulates power to the machine) is either corrupted, or dead.

Shift-Option-Control-Power (while the machine is off) will do a PMU reset. Probably need to do this with the battery out, and the power plug in.
    Tried the PMU reset, no luck.

Does the fact that the power cord shows a dark orange light mean anything?

As for the DC board... if its shot, is it worth getting a 400mhz G4 Powerbook fixed?

Thanks for your help!
    - e
  • edited February 2007
    I've really got nothing for you at this point. It depends on how much you want to spend to get the PB back, when you consider a refurb macbook can be had for $800 USD...

It's got some decent parts. Original airport card, PC-100 or 133 SO-DIMM, 2.5" HD.
    The airport card is worthless.. You can send it to me...
  • edited February 2007
    Blues is lying. The original AP card is $100+ on ebay.

As far as you go, Mr. Blues, you can decase an Orinoco/Lucent Wavelan gold or silver card, and jam that in an AP slot, and it's located natively by the OS as an original AP card.
  • edited February 2007
    Biff:Blues is lying. The original AP card is $100+ on ebay.

As far as you go, Mr. Blues, you can decase an Orinoco/Lucent Wavelan gold or silver card, and jam that in an AP slot, and it's located natively by the OS as an original AP card.
    I knows that.. and you can flash the silver to a gold.. but i was trying to snag sumpin fer free .. :)
    Strip and sell the parts on ebay, use the money to purchase a refurbed mac!
    Ive never stripped a powerbook before. What can I take out and sell and what would be a generic price for it?

Are there any online tutorials for this? heh.

Thanks!
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/
    nah you're all wrong

the problem here is the STATE OF THOSE FUCKING TOES, MAN

seriously - that's some cirque de soleil shit right there
    lol
    Prehensile toes?
    veet.
    Get yourself a torx and philips screwdriver and you can strip that powerbook down.
    Pretty much just a T-8 torx on the Ti powerbooks.
  • edited February 2007
    And send the Airport card to me.. :) I'll arrange fer one of the very large black queen hookers (6 feet +) that do business on my sidewalk after midnight to suck your toes...
    Sorry Blues, this one didnt come with an Airport. :(
    I have an airport card blues, send me your machine and i'll install it :D

echoes try stripping it so you can sell stuff like the screen, hinges, various internal boards, keyboard, etc on ebay. People pay stupid prices sometimes.
    So seeing as how the machine wont power on, I can break it down and sell the following components?

1. Display
    2. Display Hinges
    3. RAM
    4. Keyboard
    5. Logic Board (not sure if this is working?)
    6. Hard Drive
    7. Lower Case
    8. Disc Drive

Anything on the list not worth selling? I don't really have a good idea of whats worth money and whats not.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.
    Well, we still don't know what's broken. Could be the logic board, so no on that. The hinges are a stone cold bitch to extract, as they require breaking a glue bond.

You've got the other parts right, though.
    So looking over the prices on ebay, it seems that I would expect to make almost 200.00 of a striped out 400mhz G4?
    how about the power board?
    try selling the track pad bit as well, but usually there's hardly any takers.

Could be worth not listing a few items and including there info on the stuff you do publicize, so that you don't waste too much money on ebay fees. Disc drive would be an item i wouldn't list.
    Problem with flaming data (the machine not booting at all) is that it could be the adapter, could be the power board, could be the logic board. Do you sell it all and suck it up when something doesn't work?

The hard drive is worth keeping, and finding a cheap case for it.
  • edited February 2007
    So I can keep the hard drive and plug it in?

edit: thanks everyone for being so patient with me!
    Ill have the hinges of you.
    You can keep the HD, you could buy a small usb or firewire case for it if you really wanted to.
    you'll want to keep the screen and make yourself an old-skool arcade table using it and a hacked up box to run some games and a browser or something on it :)